WAG Anyone know deduction for this in Level 3?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AWGym

Proud Parent
So, YDD suddenly developed a fear of her ro-bhs on floor :( Well, I mean in her defense, she thought someone was behind her because she "heard a voice" and stopped in the middle of her bhs and landed on her back. I wasn't there to see it, but her coach explained the situation and YDD is still pretty shaken up about it (she was not hurt, though). Anyway, that was about a month ago and YDD still won't go for it. She had to scratch floor at the last meet (her first meet) because her gym has a strict policy of having EVERY skill in order to compete. I totally understand it, not an issue. But, she had a 9.4 average on the other events. Definitely could have been top 3 in AA with just a 9.0 on floor (in her age group).

Anyway, her floor coach came up to me yesterday saying that if YDD is willing, she will let her compete her ro-bhs without the connection. Her coach said she'll still get a deduction but it will be way less as opposed to the 1 point something (I forget the exact deduction she said) for omitting the skill. I talked to YDD and she decided she wanted to do a private with her floor coach today, before she competes on Sunday this weekend.

Before anyone comments about just backing away from fears, I know I know. And not to make excuses but this is totally uncharacteristic for YDD. Over the summer her gym held a 5 day Team Camp and YDD won "Hardest Worker" out of all the levels. She is a determined little booger. And that's why it breaks my heart to see her so disappointed with herself after every practice. Last meet when she saluted and scratched floor, you could see her fighting back the tears. As soon as she got in the car after the meet she started bawling, saying how all she wanted was the be in the AA like everyone else. :(

LONG STORY SHORT: Does anyone know with certainty the deduction for not connecting her back-handspring to her round-off?

Yes 0.3. I have had girls with this issue do RO-stop-BHS for a few meets. If they are solid on the other events, this way they can still get to State and place in the AA.

Yes 0.3. I have had girls with this issue do RO-stop-BHS for a few meets. If they are solid on the other events, this way they can still get to State and place in the AA.

Awesome, thank you! This is our exact situation...she really wants to go to State & her coach and I think it's the connection that scares her ever since her fall!

I wouldn't do this because if they get too much power on their roundoff or get momentarily confused (after months and months of practicing RO BHS ) they will do the exact thing that happened to your daughter in the first place. Coaches, if a kid is fast twitch at all, definitely don't do this. It's dangerous.

But perhaps your coach is going to have your daughter go from standing and will be spotting just in case. I would make sure she has the opportunity to practice it before the meet.

Even if the coach allowed spotting, the spot deduction is 0.5 (worse that the missed connection).
Right, I'm just thinking it might be better for the athlete in terms of getting her brain around the fact that she can do it connected rather than introducing a habit that they'll have to get her out of later.

Right, I'm just thinking it might be better for the athlete in terms of getting her brain around the fact that she can do it connected rather than introducing a habit that they'll have to get her out of later.
We have girls that get spotted in practice after a scare (but half the time they stop there too, on their own). When they are mentally ready, they go back to doing them connected and unspotted.

We also currently have a L5 that HAD her ROBHSBT, but it has decided that the start of meet season would be a great time to play "Hide-N-Seek." Just the thought of having to do a BT (even with a spot) makes her nervous. In practice, she does a ROBHS - Stop - Spotted back tuck. In tomorrow's meet, she is going to substitute an unspotted, but connected ROBHSBHS… she will be deducted for the substituted skill, but won't get the broken connection deduction, or the spot deduction, and lose the value of the skill anyways since the coach does all the work (and she won't lose 2x the value of the skill for not doing it at all).

We have girls that get spotted in practice after a scare (but half the time they stop there too, on their own). When they are mentally ready, they go back to doing them connected and unspotted.

We also currently have a L5 that HAD her ROBHSBT, but it has decided that the start of meet season would be a great time to play "Hide-N-Seek." Just the thought of having to do a BT (even with a spot) makes her nervous. In practice, she does a ROBHS - Stop - Spotted back tuck. In tomorrow's meet, she is going to substitute an unspotted, but connected ROBHSBHS… she will be deducted for the substituted skill, but won't get the broken connection deduction, or the spot deduction, and lose the value of the skill anyways since the coach does all the work (and she won't lose 2x the value of the skill for not doing it at all).
Substituting a major element is double the value of the skill(same as omitting it), plus she would get any execution deductions on the 2nd handspring.

My sons ROBH seems to come and go. He can do it on the tumble track just fine and then on the floor one practice. The next practice the floor version just isn't there. This has been happening for a month or two. He's very frustrated. It's a bonus in his routine and at his first meet, I could see the indecision clearly in his mannerisms about whether he should do it.
I hope your daughter gets it soon.
I'm kind of in the camp that she shouldn't create a bad habit by stopping in between. :/

Doing a RO -stop - BH is how several of our girls got theirs back (including my DD who's had her share of backwards issues last year). Not from a run, but from just a few steps or a hurdle. Is that really creating bad habits??

I think (and coaches can correct me if I am wrong) that in level 3, if the coach stands on the floor ready to spot but does not actually touch the gymnast, there is no deduction. This happened for a few girls at dd's first level 3 meet.

Does your dd actually need a spot, or if it is a fear issue, does the presence of the coach on the floor ready to spot allow her to do it unspotted?

If so, would that potentially be different from the "no spotting" policy, since she wouldn't actually be spotted?

We are a gym that does not allow spotting at meets, but we will go on the floor or stand by an athlete during a compulsory meet since it is no deduction. Many times this gives the athletes the needed confidence boost to do the skill on their own if there is a fear issue involved.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back