Parents anyone know of any good gyms in north carolina

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

ariel

i have a 5 year old and am moving to the charlotte area. probably north of there around the cornelius area. any suggestions on a good gym?

Welcome to the NC :D

I believe Weyandts is also in Charlotte. I seem to remember there being others besides the ones mentioned so far, but I forget what they are.

Southeastern is the only one with elites.

Everest is L4 and? L5 state champion.

The training paradigm at Southeastern is Russian and the training paradigm at Everest is Chinese. Southeastern's head coach is Lludmila Shorbe, who was Svetlana Boguinskaya's coach.

A word of warning: don't judge a gym by how they do at lower level competitions; lots of level 4, 5, and 6 wins could mean they train strong basics, but it could just as easily mean they hold kids back until they're guaranteed to win at the lower levels. Or it could mean they burn all their kids out very early-on.

Talk to whatever coaches and parents you can, and look at how the gym does at the upper levels (8, 9, 10, elite).

I don't mean to specifically target Everest; I don't know their coaches very well, and I don't know how they're doing at the upper levels, so I am in no position to comment either positively or negatively about their program. All I mean to say is that there are many gyms in NC (and up until relatively recently, my gym was among them) that sandbag kids for high scores at low levels. Be wary of this, as those sorts of gyms really aren't a good place to send your kids, in my opinion.

Last edited:
A word of warning: don't judge a gym by how they do at lower level competitions; lots of level 4, 5, and 6 wins could mean they train strong basics, but it could just as easily mean they hold kids back until they're guaranteed to win at the lower levels.

Talk to whatever coaches and parents you can, and look at how the gym does at the upper levels (8, 9, 10, elite).

I don't mean to specifically target Everest; I don't know their coaches very well, and I don't know how they're doing at the upper levels, so I am in no position to comment either positively or negatively about their program. All I mean to say is that there are many gyms in NC (and up until relatively recently, my gym was among them) that sandbag kids for high scores at low levels. Be wary of this, as those sorts of gyms really aren't a good place to send your kids, in my opinion.

Everest might have one or two L8s, but that's it. However, they also are only a couple years old so perhaps that's to be expected.

I do agree with everything you say, btw. Every parent should visit and look around. A 39.00 at L4 does not tell the whole story of a gym, or even 2 pages of its first chapter. LOL.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back