WAG Anyone Not Understand Nastia's Bars Scores?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is not meant to be controversial! It's an honest question. Nastia consistently scored nearly a point higher on bars than any score that was awarded to those who were best on the other events. I have found SO many flaws with Nastia's bars.
-Lands her Pak almost in a front support
-Flexed feet and separated legs on dismount
-Huge step on dismount (usually)
-Late pirouettes
-Bent legs on giants
-Very low tkatchev

You can't really compare scores between events. Every quad they try to fudge the rules around to try and even the events out, but we know they haven't found that perfect balance, and they certainly didn't have it in 2008. I'm not a judge or an expert of any kind, but glancing at the UB final scores from Beijing, Nastia tied with He Kexin and was awarded a silver, and the top four UB workers were all within a tenth of each other. So it wasn't like she was crushing the competition, her score was well within the norm for the very best on that event. You can argue that the judges missed a few tenths on her execution, which I'm sure happens frequently simply because they don't get instant replay and they don't get to see the routine from multiple angles, but comparing her to the top floor or vault gymnasts from that quad is meaningless. Maria Paseka on vault at this past worlds outscored Pauline Schaefer on beam by nearly a point and a half even though Paseka has serious form issues. The rules simply aren't consistent from one event to another.

Maria Paseka on vault at this past worlds outscored Pauline Schaefer on beam by nearly a point and a half even though Paseka has serious form issues. The rules simply aren't consistent from one event to another.

True. I personally don't like it when the code drastically favors one event over the others. Nastia was scoring 17s on bars in the US, while Shawn could barely score a 16 on beam.

Oh, I definitely agree it's a problem because it privileges gymnasts who excel on one event over those who excel on another, which clearly isn't fair. I just don't think it's unique to Nastia or that it shows any type of favoritism for one particular gymnast. I think part of the issue is it's hard to know how the new code will work until gymnasts have actually competed under it, so they've been trying to iron this stuff out since they switched away from the 10.0 system. I do think it was better during the 2016 quad, and hopefully it just continues to improve.

If you are complaining about the disparity of scores between events in that quad, you are pointing to the wrong thing. It wasn't the execution, it was the D score. The best bar workers were able to rack up 7.7/7.8 D scores, while the best floor and vault were in the mid 6's, beam high 6's to 7.0. Execution scores were actually lower on UB than any other event. Right around 9.0 for the best, while floor and beam in the low 9's, vault in the mid 9's.

If you are complaining about the disparity of scores between events in that quad, you are pointing to the wrong thing. It wasn't the execution, it was the D score. The best bar workers were able to rack up 7.7/7.8 D scores, while the best floor and vault were in the mid 6's, beam high 6's to 7.0. Execution scores were actually lower on UB than any other event. Right around 9.0 for the best, while floor and beam in the low 9's, vault in the mid 9's.
Yes. Exactly. Thanks for knowing the actual specifics.

Meet Director: Sorry I didn't know only current events could be discussed but if that's the case then I understand.

Past events may be discussed by those who choose to participate as long as it stays respectful.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back