Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts & High 5 Meets!

Anyone still out of the gym?

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
Is there anyone whose gymnast is still out of the gym, either by choice or by mandate? We still aren't comfortable sending our daughter to the gym, although given what we now know I might be considering it if masks were required at all times. She is in the ninth grade and was debating between L6 and platinum for this year. After six months out with no conditioning and a massive growth spurt, she's still begging to go back. She's also asking to take up ballet, which pandemic or not would be impossible for a couple more years (our ballet school doesn't take beginners aged 13 or 14--too old for kids' classes, too young for adult classes). She is motivated enough that she's actually started doing some strength and stretching to prepare for a return to the gym.

What's really difficult is that almost all of the team went back when the gym reopened in June, and since they are probably not going to compete this year they've been doing all sorts of uptraining. Supposedly her friends all have their L7 skills, and she's feeling sad and left out. She has been excited about giants and the tsuk timer for years, and that's exactly what she's missing out on.

momofsushi

Proud Parent
Oct 3, 2018
Country
Canada
Gyms are closed again here in Québec in hot spots, since last week to the end of October ( at least). High school gymnast with are in a sport-Study program can train ( since they go to the same school). My gymnast ( L7, grade 5th) was devastated that she had to stop again.....

bogwoppit

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Former Gymnast
Feb 26, 2007
Country
Canada
Gyms are closed again here in Québec in hot spots, since last week to the end of October ( at least). High school gymnast with are in a sport-Study program can train ( since they go to the same school). My gymnast ( L7, grade 5th) was devastated that she had to stop again.....

Also in Quebec, daughters gym reopened, then closed when the second wave hit. Mine is 21 at Uni and is very unhappy her only activity is gone. She was in a class of 12 with one coach in an empty gym. Masked for spotting/coaching.