anyone with a spare money tree?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok I lost my job in April Hubby had pay cut in Feb by 30K (yes you heard right) WE are just making ends meet and the gym put out the competitive schedual.
4 meet out of state OK but come on from were in NH and to go to CA, Las Vagas, PA and MD. Each meet is $140 + coast of transportation, hotels and food not to mention the extras that DD will want at the meets. I don't have that kind of money - What is the gym thinking in this time of economic stress. I'm know I'm not the only one in this boat but I know my kid will be the only one not going to those meets - she is very unhappy she won't be able to go. I am going to need to talk to the owners and see how far in advance we need to let them know if she can go. I'm hoping she can make at least the PA or MD those will be cheaper air tickets and if we stay at a days inn or econolodge we might be able to do it but the team will be staying more at a hilton.

what are they thinking?
Have you considered asking the gym if you can do a fundraiser to help with the expenses. I know that our gym allows this when the girls who qualify for regionals or nationals to help parents with expenses. I believe they did a bake sale for several weeks. The moms of the kids who qualified brought in baked goods and put them out on a table for sale. They raised quite a bit through the sale. Also, the other team girls may want to help with a car wash to support their teammate. Just a thought. I too wish I had an additional money tree as they are really hard to grow these days. Good luck and you will be surprised at the amount of support you will receive if you just ask for it.

Have you considered asking the gym if you can do a fundraiser to help with the expenses. I know that our gym allows this when the girls who qualify for regionals or nationals to help parents with expenses. I believe they did a bake sale for several weeks. The moms of the kids who qualified brought in baked goods and put them out on a table for sale. They raised quite a bit through the sale. Also, the other team girls may want to help with a car wash to support their teammate. Just a thought. I too wish I had an additional money tree as they are really hard to grow these days. Good luck and you will be surprised at the amount of support you will receive if you just ask for it.

Hey A,
Did you sell all of those awesome coupon books??? <VBG>

Have you tried getting in touch with the host gyms and asking if the gym families would mind taking in a family for the weekend? It cuts down costs and lets the girls interact with their competitors. And you can return the favour when your gym or another gym nearby holds a meet.

We used to do this all the time when I was competing. Also the Parent Support club raised money to buy us a mini bus that we used to cut down on fuel and traveling costs.

I know how you feel!!! The costs of gymnastics are outrageous and we pay for all of the coaches travel expenses along with our own travel. Our gym goes to about 3 travel meets a year but usually one is flying and the other are driving.
At our gym there are a lot of people who opt out of going to all of the travel meets. Our family also had to take a pay cut this year, luckily we are doing OK but it still makes it hard. I feel that gyms should pay atention to all of the hardships that people are having and look at meets according to that. I truly feel for you and your situation!!
mommy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back