Anything and everything about T&T

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm going to apologize ahead of time if this post is redundant or if it's not in the right spot... I've never written a post about T&T, so I'm not sure where it'd go.

Anyways, lately I've been feeling extremely burnt out over artistic gymnastics, and seriously debating quitting altogether. I've taken practically the last month off (I haven't gone more than 3 times in a week) and I've been enjoying being away from bars, beam, etc... However, I keep getting this feeling like if I truly break off gymnastics that I am going to sever a part of myself that I can't get back. I've been flipping back and forth between "yes gym" and "no gym" for a while, when a member of my gym presented this idea to me: T&T.

Our gym is starting a T&T program, in which people who love tumbling could still do gymnastics but not do bars and beam and vault. This program seems so perfect for me, except for one thing...I know nothing about it!

If any of you members of Chalkbucket know anything about T&T, I'd love to know. It can be anything, what to wear, what skills you do, how much you train, anything and everything about T&T.

Also, I am a level 8 gymnast right now, so how would that translate into T&T levels? Can I skip ahead or will I need to compete all the way from level 1?

Thank you so much!!!

-Lauren

Go to :: USA Gymnastics :: Home Page :: and click on the T & T tab at the top to get info. Competition is done in 3 separate events - trampoline,double mini and tumbling. You can compete in 1, 2 or 3 of the events and you can compete different levels on each event. Competitive levels run 5 to 10, just like artistic. You must achieve a mobility score to move up the levels, but I believe athletes with previous experience can petition into starting at level 7. T & T is a great alternative to stopping gymnastics all together!

I coach T&T, & competed back in the day.

You wear a leotard, just like in artistic, and white socks or trampoline shoes for trampoline & double mini. Some people tumble in those shoes, some tumble barefoot.

You can start anywhere at or below level 7. After that you need to get a mobility score to move up. Unlike artistic you are allowed to be at different levels on different events. The competitive kids I coach train between 3 and 7.5 hours a week.

Our tumbling passes are WAY longer than what you are used to (everything above level 6 has 2 8 skill passes. Level 6 is roundoff 6 backhandsprings and roundoff 3 and a tuck). We kick out of all of our saltos.

I'd encourage you to look up the different levels on youtube, because the skills that are unique to trampoline are hard to describe and some have weird names.

In my experience, T&T meets are much more laid back than WAG meets. There's also a much wider range of ages, which is pretty cool.

T&T is a ton of fun, and a lot of former artistic athletes find the joy in gymnastics again. If you have any questions (especially after watching some videos), I'd be happy to answer them.

T&T is a fantastic way to still compete gymnastics but not have to spend enormous amounts of time at the gym and the skills are a lot of fun. As others have mentioned, you can start as high as level 7, but mobilize to the next level if you get the mobility score. In California, there are quite a few gyms and even some that specialize in T&T. There are 4 preliminary meets (usually starting in January), state meet, regionals, and finally Nationals. Nationals are open to level 5 through elite and will be held in Long Beach CA in July, 2012. I would recommend going to a few classes to see if it something you would like.

This sport sounds fantastic! But would we need to buy any new equipment? What kind of trampoline would we need? We have one, it's not super bouncy, but i've seen someone successfully do a double back on it. We also don't have a tumbling strip, but we have a tumble track, floor, and air floor.

As far as equiptment to start you don't need a lot. Many gyms don't have what it takes to host meets themselves but go to other gyms and compete successfully. A lot of gyms train tumbling on a regular floor, and many on sub par trampolines. You can even train double mini trampoline on a tumble track, trampoline or even 2 spring boards.

Our gym started that way and we had a girl even make it to Jr. Elite (by then we had equiptment) but she trained through level 8 on a tumble track and a regular floor. Most kids can probably get through at least level 6 this way. When skills become more difficult you do need to be able to get height and you need a longer space to tumble. Hope that helps.

I'm not a T&T'er myself, but 3 of my former teamates are now in involved in T&T, and each one of them are going National level. Coindence? I think not. My artistic coach says that former artistic gymnasts make great Trampoline and Tumblers!

EDIT- Our gym has next to nothing for T&T equipment. An old trampoline, a very short rod floor and they have to travel an hour at the least to get use of a double-mini.

Wow! It's great to hear of so many people finding ways to be successful in T&T! So would it be unreasonable to be training my skills on the tumble track and normal floor, and then drive to other gyms to use a rod floor, double mini, or better trampoline? I might be around level 7 on tramp. and tumbling, and probably a level 5 or something on double mini.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back