Appendicitis :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
So on Tuesday I was having lunch with a friend before going to coach/train at Uni when my stomach started to hurt. It wasn't that bad and I thought it would go away soon enough - if it didn't I was thinking I would just coach and not train myself.

I left lunch at 4 and by the time I got to Uni at 4:45 I could barely walk/speak /breathe/ do anything. I was taken to hospital and eventually had my appendix removed yesterday afternoon. Post op was pretty grim (don't believe anyone who tells you that morphine is great, it did nothing for me) but I'm now getting ready to go home.

I asked the docor how long before I can start doing stuff again and he eyed me suspiciously and said 'what is STUFF?' So I explained that I'm a gymnast and he said one week off, followed by one week of taking it easy back working out. I was pretty amazed because that sounds really short to me. It was a laporoscopic procedure so I have 3 small dressings/holes.

Anyone else been given such a short recovery time? Should I be seeking a second opinion (not that I want to wait to go back, but I don't want to damage myself either...

um, if your recovery is anything like mine was, your incisions won't even be totally healed by then. I wasn't crazy about the surgeon who did my surgery, he used staples instead of glue or stitches. I didn't even go back to the doctor to have those removed until about a week after surgery! (though to be honest, the ones in my belly button started to poke me and I kind of removed most of those myself before my post op appointment. :confused: ) I'm not sure if I'd be OK with one of my kids going back to training just 1 week after that surgery... By 2 weeks though, I think you'd be good to go. I think I had to wait 2 weeks before I was given the OK to do stuff like picking my kids up.

Do you have tender stitches? Maybe your doctor doesn't quite understand what you do. I'd definitely take 3-4 weeks off after having surgery.

If you're feeling fine though I don't see much harm in doing a bit on conditioning or some easy skills, but don't go into anything to strenuous (or do too many front drops on the trampoline :p)

The incision sites are still pretty sore as it's only been around 24 hours since the surgery started (and I was in post-op recovery for six hours while they struggled to get my pain under control, which probably hasn't helped)

I hadn't mentioned which discipline I was involved in but I was just chatting with the doc and I told him - he still didn't seem too bothered. I think I will see how it is after a week, and if it's still sore I won't go, if it's fine I will go and just jump up and down. Like did think he was a little crazy to only tell me a week!!

Oh goodness! I'm glad to hear that you are OK--appendicitis can be scary stuff. I would agree with the others that you will probably need more time to recover than what the doc told you. Most people (doctors are included in this) have no idea of the kinds of crazy stuff gymnasts put their bodies through. I would plan on more recovery time, and really, really listen to your body. If you feel pain, STOP! :) Good luck and happy healing.

We had a girl that had an emergency appendectomy on the day OF a meet... she had to take 2 weeks off, then take it easy for the first week back. By the next week after that, she was good to go.

My other half had a laparoscopic gallbladder removal. He was told he could go back to work (his job is quite sedentary) after a week if he felt up to it and that he could start gentle exercise - )running was ok) after two weeks if he felt up to it but nothing more strenuous for four weeks. He got pains in funny places, which they said was down to the gas they fill your stomach with and he didn't feel like running after two weeks.

I'm not convinced your Dr understood what you were telling him/her. Possibly thought gymnastics was a bit like dancing for bendy people?

Presumably you have a follow up scheduled? I'd wait and see what they say then.

Ouch though!

oh Bless, hope you feel better soon, and I would just play it by ear, you don't want to open your incision up again so another week or two would help in the long run

Ouchy, get well soon! As for recovery time, perhaps play it by ear, I'd say at least two weeks off before light exercise, then see how you feel!

I did yoga just under 2 weeks after laproscopy and I had to take it very easy and skip some bits as I could feel it, so I think 2 weeks an absolute minimum for tramp.

My son just had the same surgery and the doc told him the same thing. He was still sore for a third week, and he's not even a gymnast.

So on Tuesday I was having lunch with a friend before going to coach/train at Uni when my stomach started to hurt. It wasn't that bad and I thought it would go away soon enough - if it didn't I was thinking I would just coach and not train myself.

I left lunch at 4 and by the time I got to Uni at 4:45 I could barely walk/speak /breathe/ do anything. I was taken to hospital and eventually had my appendix removed yesterday afternoon. Post op was pretty grim (don't believe anyone who tells you that morphine is great, it did nothing for me) but I'm now getting ready to go home.

I asked the docor how long before I can start doing stuff again and he eyed me suspiciously and said 'what is STUFF?' So I explained that I'm a gymnast and he said one week off, followed by one week of taking it easy back working out. I was pretty amazed because that sounds really short to me. It was a laporoscopic procedure so I have 3 small dressings/holes.

Anyone else been given such a short recovery time? Should I be seeking a second opinion (not that I want to wait to go back, but I don't want to damage myself either...

it'll be 5 weeks. you won't feel right till then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back