Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Appropriate meet hairstyles

Tea

Gymnast
Jul 2, 2019
Country
United Kingdom
I recently cut my hair short, it is around chin length. My hair is too short to put up into pony tails or buns. For practice recently I’ve been doing a half up half down hairstyle with a headband.
Now that the competition season is near, what are some appropriate meet hairstyles that will stay out of my face and I won’t get deducted for.

raenndrops

Coach
Proud Relative
Former Gymnast
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
As long as the headband stays in place (and won't fly off while you are tumbling), then you can wear a headband. I would suggest one that goes with your team leotard.
Another option would be to gel the heck out of your hair and slick it all back ... but I would still suggest a headband with it just in case.

Reactions: txgymfan

Getoutyall

Proud Parent
Apr 19, 2017
Country
USA
When my daughters hair was chin length we would do like four little pony tails in the front (to keep bangs back) pulled back into a Regular pony tail. Hope that makes sense.

&bs

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Dec 18, 2013
Country
Australia
Could you do 2-4 braids back to about 1/2 way. Similar to above response but braided.

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
My daughter had chin-length hair for a while. We used to do a spiderweb with just the front hair, two rows of spiderweb ending in several tiny ponytails lying flat on the head with the back half of the hair down.

Reactions: raenndrops

PinPin

Proud Parent
Judge
Jan 20, 2017
Country
South Africa
We also do multiple rows of tiny ponytails each in turn pulled into the next row's pony tail.