Are 'B' level skills allowed in prep op/excel novice/silver?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was bored so I decided to look through the code of points, and I saw a 'B' level skill. It's a full turn, but you don't put your foot down, and go to a scale. I want it in my floor routine, but I might not be allowed to..

Does anyone know? I'd appreciate it.

BQ:

What's the worst that could happen if you throw a roundoff back tuck on a mat when you're used to it on spring floor? any tips? I have to do one for our schools pep rally on tuesday. ...:eek:

What region are you? Right now x-cel is different from state to state and region to region. In our region b's are not allowed at silver. Have you thought about xcel gold?

I'm in region 6, mass. right now in MA it's still called prep op. I would really love to compete silver, but I don't think i have the requirements down on beam. :/

Ok, general of everything;
Vault: Both silver and bronze are handstand flat backs
Bars:Bronze and silver: Mount, cast, no angle requirement, circle element, value part, dismount. Bronze may not use high bar
Beam:Bronze and silver; minimum turn of 180(half turn), dance series, leap or jump not part of the dance series, acrobatic element that starts or finishes on beam(did not see specification, I would imagine either a handstand or cartwheel would suffice, but you can't do anything higher in bronze. Silver may allow a back walkover, since it is part of the compulsory COP, but a cartwheel is perfectly acceptable). Bronze:dismount. again, you could do the lvl 3 or 4 compulsory dismount, or FHS dismount, or round-off dismount.Generally bronze is going to want the easier dismounts, and a salto is not allowed. You could also do these for silver (lvl 3-6 compulsory dismount, side handstand to turn to dismount), or an A dismount, such as a front tuck or a brani. The salto dismount is common in silver (or what used to be intermediate). Both also have time limits of 50 seconds
Floor: Bronze-MIN 180 turn on floor, dance series, leap or jump, acro series with two or more elements(handstand forward roll to cartwheel example). Acrobatic series with backward element (cartwheel bwo, or kickover, ro backward roll example). Saltos are not allowed. Time not to exceed 1 minute
Silver-MIN 360(full) turn on floor, dance series, leap or jump separate from dance series, acro with two or more flight elements (ro bhs) and an isolated salto. Time not to exceed 1;15

NH just had their PO clinic today and rules were recently updated. These rules I just gave you are from the most recent MA prep op rule book that came out in Sept. Don't know if they will be doing a clinic and changing rules soon too. Best of luck!

Don't know anything about prep op but the worst that could happen is you don't get enough height and rotation and you land on you neck. Sorry to be blunt but you asked for the worst. This of course would vary depending how proficient you are at them. Maybe see if you can try one with a coach spotting in the gym on the vault strip or some other non sprung area of the gym first? It may be better to do a round off flic step out (BHS step out) less dangerous and won't destroy your wrist as much as a normal BHS

Ok, general of everything;
Vault: Both silver and bronze are handstand flat backs
Bars:Bronze and silver: Mount, cast, no angle requirement, circle element, value part, dismount. Bronze may not use high bar
Beam:Bronze and silver; minimum turn of 180(half turn), dance series, leap or jump not part of the dance series, acrobatic element that starts or finishes on beam(did not see specification, I would imagine either a handstand or cartwheel would suffice, but you can't do anything higher in bronze. Silver may allow a back walkover, since it is part of the compulsory COP, but a cartwheel is perfectly acceptable). Bronze:dismount. again, you could do the lvl 3 or 4 compulsory dismount, or FHS dismount, or round-off dismount.Generally bronze is going to want the easier dismounts, and a salto is not allowed. You could also do these for silver (lvl 3-6 compulsory dismount, side handstand to turn to dismount), or an A dismount, such as a front tuck or a brani. The salto dismount is common in silver (or what used to be intermediate). Both also have time limits of 50 seconds
Floor: Bronze-MIN 180 turn on floor, dance series, leap or jump, acro series with two or more elements(handstand forward roll to cartwheel example). Acrobatic series with backward element (cartwheel bwo, or kickover, ro backward roll example). Saltos are not allowed. Time not to exceed 1 minute
Silver-MIN 360(full) turn on floor, dance series, leap or jump separate from dance series, acro with two or more flight elements (ro bhs) and an isolated salto. Time not to exceed 1;15

NH just had their PO clinic today and rules were recently updated. These rules I just gave you are from the most recent MA prep op rule book that came out in Sept. Don't know if they will be doing a clinic and changing rules soon too. Best of luck!

I'm in MA too...I'm pretty sure what is now called "Silver" was "Novice" before. It went Rookie, Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Superior. Now Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kate I believe you are right. Rookie is bronze, novice is silver, intermediate is gold, advanced is platinum and superior is diamond. I am going off of what I remember the novice ect rules, and they seem equivalent to these. And bli1ndd, if you can't throw a back tuck safely, DON'T do it, PLEASE. It is so easy to hurt yourself if youre throwing skills you can't safely do. Is there anything "cool" for your pep rally you can do instead? Like a backhandspring that can be done safetly? Or a front tuck?

i didn't do my back tuck, because it isn't even a spring floor and i didn't want to risk embarassment in front of 1,500 people.. :eek: i just did round off handspring handspring.. :/ but that's okay.

i still don't know if B elements are allowed.. yes? no? sorry.

No B elements allowed on bars in silver, nor are saltos. Beam it doesn't say, it merely states that no flight on the beam is allowed. So if you have a switch leap, which is a B, or a full turn with your leg at horizontal or higher, it should be allowed, obviously that leaves you only with B dance skills. Floor, only one A salto allowed, no B,C or higher acrobatics, no dance higher than C (so if the turn you wanted is rated a B, you're all set)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back