Are CA gyms affected?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I see that Gov. Newsom shut down indoor operation of restaurants, fitness gyms ect again today. Does that affect gymnastics? I know we have a lot of CA people here. Either way, stay safe everyone!

I see that Gov. Newsom shut down indoor operation of restaurants, fitness gyms ect again today. Does that affect gymnastics? I know we have a lot of CA people here. Either way, stay safe everyone!

I have heard it is county by county. Someone listed the counties on FB. BUt I am not there, so hopefully we can hear more.

But even in the counties included, do gymnastics gyms fall into "fitness centers"? I think maybe they don't?? Fitness Centers don't have stable groups, etc.

California here. We've been operating under "gym and fitness center" guidelines. My boss saw the news around 1:30 pm today. She came around with a piece of paper informing coaches around 1:40 pm. We let our 11-2 pm groups and 12-3 pm groups finish. Afternoon classes are cancelled and we closed for the foreseeable future for team and rec.

Adding some context here. Governor Newsom ordered gyms (and indoor worship, non-critical offices, salons, shopping malls) closed in the
29 counties on the state "watch list" for for worsening COVID trends. These counties include 80 percent of the state population.

Some gyms might still be able to operate under "day camp" or "child care" guidelines, if they provide day camp or childcare. We were told by county officials that we fall into "gyms and fitness centers" - which helped us reopen when we did, but also means we now recluse.

There were a lot of sad kids and parents and coaches when we dismissed today.

Thanks for clarifying! I’m sorry to those who are shut down again, that must be really tough for everyone. Emotional rollercoaster I’m sure...This whole thing is so hard. Stay safe everyone!

Reactions: sce
Many gyms in CA have day camp certification, which throughout the summer they are. From what I've heard about 50% of gyms closed if they don't have that designation. Most of the large counties in CA were on the governor's list, including all of SoCal.

If a CA gym has the day camp certification it is safe to assume the camps would really be “normal team practices?” Are the gyms only welcoming recreational summer campers and not letting their teams train?

If a CA gym has the day camp certification it is safe to assume the camps would really be “normal team practices?” Are the gyms only welcoming recreational summer campers and not letting their teams train?

Our gym is in Norcal and they have normal team practice under a "summer camp" format. That means x amount of gymnasts per coach, one coach per group with no switching or subbing for each other. The practices are staggered throughout the day so there are only so many gymnasts in the gym at once. They also have limited rec classes following the same guidelines. I know there are at least three other gyms in the area (but different counties) following the same format. Our gym has worked very closely with the health department to make sure they are meeting all of the guidelines for the safest possible environment.

Our gym is in Norcal and they have normal team practice under a "summer camp" format. That means x amount of gymnasts per coach, one coach per group with no switching or subbing for each other. The practices are staggered throughout the day so there are only so many gymnasts in the gym at once. They also have limited rec classes following the same guidelines. I know there are at least three other gyms in the area (but different counties) following the same format. Our gym has worked very closely with the health department to make sure they are meeting all of the guidelines for the safest possible environment.
This is what our gym in SoCal is doing and it appears to follow the other gyms that have stayed open. Most of the gyms are huge square footage and extremely high ceilings so spacing is very good too.

Our gym leadership isn't comfortable saying we're running a day camp. We asked for city and county permission to hold outdoor workouts, and were initially told no. They then switched that to a "yes," so we're holding outside morning workouts for JO teams for cardio and conditioning, as well as moving some of the more mobile equipment for drills and apparatus work.

This is requiring creativity and lots of adaptability.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back