Are "inside" turns rated the same as regular gymnastics turns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah_the_gymnast

Gymnast
Aug 3, 2016
Country
USA

vs

I know the one is a triple turn, and the other is a double on beam, but bear with me. I couldn't find better GIFs. So basically, is a turn the dancer way rated the same as a regular turn if it has the same number of rotations, etc.

I'm inclined to say no, as in dancer turns are rated lower, but who knows?

Thanks!

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Judge
Nov 16, 2012
In FIG COP, yes. You only get the skill value once even if you do the same turn in both directions, unless it's a direct connection and both of the turns are other than passé turns.

You can connect two turns in a two different ways. The number one would be the way Sanne Wevers for example connects her turns on beam - she does them on different feet. The other, less common way is to do the turns on the same foot and have a quick demi plié in betweeen.

Reactions: chalkbowl

azara

Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Jan 16, 2016
Country
Australia
The turns are called "en dedan" and "en dehor", though which way around they go I'm not sure. I think dehor is outwards and dedan inwards, but don't quote me on that.

In the FIG COP, en dedan and en dehor are both credited the same difficulty. However, a turn is only credited once in a routine. The exception is if you perform them in a series, at which point both receive credit.

MrsAnderson

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Aug 27, 2016
Country
USA
I could be wrong, but just for reference I believe the turn towards the back leg (the ballet turn above) is the outside pirouette, and the turn towards the front leg (the gym one) is the inside pirouette.

Reactions: mommyof1

blue_5678

Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Dec 11, 2016
Country
Canada
The turns are called "en dedan" and "en dehor", though which way around they go I'm not sure. I think dehor is outwards and dedan inwards, but don't quote me on that.

In the FIG COP, en dedan and en dehor are both credited the same difficulty. However, a turn is only credited once in a routine. The exception is if you perform them in a series, at which point both receive credit.
Yes you're right, en dehor is outwards (think "en dehor out the door", it's a little rhyme), and en dedan is inwards.

Iwannabemargo

Numpty Watcher
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Aug 28, 2011
UK
Country
United Kingdom
guys can we put an "s" on there, I know, I'm a pedant, but it just looks so wrong,

en dedans
en dehors

I feel sooooooo much better now,

wanders off to take her happy pills...........

azara

Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Jan 16, 2016
Country
Australia
guys can we put an "s" on there, I know, I'm a pedant, but it just looks so wrong,

en dedans
en dehors

I feel sooooooo much better now,

wanders off to take her happy pills...........
Thanks for the correction, I should have known to add a silent "s" (considering it's French!)

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
Fan
May 21, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
There is no 's' in the new CoP. I just happened to come across it today. Coincidence...

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
There is no 's' in the new CoP. I just happened to come across it today. Coincidence...
I wish gymnastics would stop pretending that it has any relationship to ballet. I am tired of hearing my gymnast "correct" my ballet terminology. Coupe and passe are movements, not positions. And what gymnastics calls a chasse, my ballet teacher calls a "glump."

Reactions: sce

Mommyo2az

Coach
Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Judge
Mar 2, 2015
Arizona
Country
USA
I wish gymnastics would stop pretending that it has any relationship to ballet. I am tired of hearing my gymnast "correct" my ballet terminology. Coupe and passe are movements, not positions. And what gymnastics calls a chasse, my ballet teacher calls a "glump."
[emoji23][emoji23] GLUMP !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!