WAG Are "inside" turns rated the same as regular gymnastics turns?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pirouette-o.gif

vs

5b4d23610aaed29a9e4f550c799e5f4e.gif

I know the one is a triple turn, and the other is a double on beam, but bear with me. I couldn't find better GIFs. So basically, is a turn the dancer way rated the same as a regular turn if it has the same number of rotations, etc.

I'm inclined to say no, as in dancer turns are rated lower, but who knows?

Thanks!

In FIG COP, yes. You only get the skill value once even if you do the same turn in both directions, unless it's a direct connection and both of the turns are other than passé turns.

You can connect two turns in a two different ways. The number one would be the way Sanne Wevers for example connects her turns on beam - she does them on different feet. The other, less common way is to do the turns on the same foot and have a quick demi plié in betweeen.

The turns are called "en dedan" and "en dehor", though which way around they go I'm not sure. I think dehor is outwards and dedan inwards, but don't quote me on that.

In the FIG COP, en dedan and en dehor are both credited the same difficulty. However, a turn is only credited once in a routine. The exception is if you perform them in a series, at which point both receive credit.

I could be wrong, but just for reference I believe the turn towards the back leg (the ballet turn above) is the outside pirouette, and the turn towards the front leg (the gym one) is the inside pirouette.

The turns are called "en dedan" and "en dehor", though which way around they go I'm not sure. I think dehor is outwards and dedan inwards, but don't quote me on that.

In the FIG COP, en dedan and en dehor are both credited the same difficulty. However, a turn is only credited once in a routine. The exception is if you perform them in a series, at which point both receive credit.

Yes you're right, en dehor is outwards (think "en dehor out the door", it's a little rhyme), and en dedan is inwards.

There is no 's' in the new CoP. I just happened to come across it today. Coincidence...

I wish gymnastics would stop pretending that it has any relationship to ballet. I am tired of hearing my gymnast "correct" my ballet terminology. Coupe and passe are movements, not positions. And what gymnastics calls a chasse, my ballet teacher calls a "glump."

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back