WAG Are NCAA women gymnasts getting taller?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

reluctant

Proud Parent
I was just looking at the roster for Oklahoma and of 16 women on their team, 15 are 5'3" or taller. Four of them are 5'7". I'm curious about why there is still talk of people being "too tall" for gymnastics when the reigning NCAA champion team only has one competitor who is less than 5'3".

Weight strength ratio is a tenuous subject. You can either get stronger or you can weigh less. Weighing less is the point I am referring. Everyone gets upset when gymnasts are asked to lose a few pounds.

Weight strength ratio is a tenuous subject. You can either get stronger or you can weigh less. Weighing less is the point I am referring. Everyone gets upset when gymnasts are asked to lose a few pounds.

Well if you're referring to NCAA, yes people do get upset when "gymnasts are asked to lose a few pounds " by the same coaches that have them in a daily weight lifting program that pretty much prevents that....

I am not starting trouble just speaking to what I beleive is the most important aspect of gymnastics. It's what makes the sport so intensely difficult.

Strength to weight ratio.

I am not starting trouble just speaking to what I beleive is the most important aspect of gymnastics. It's what makes the sport so intensely difficult.

Strength to weight ratio.
The way you know they can do gymnastics is not by the amount of pounds or inches but by whether or not they can do the skills

I'll start this and end it with the same statement.

Every person has the right to be who and look exactly as they wish.

I find it peculiar that most Americans are offended by weight and how it relates to health. There is no denying America has the most over weight citizens.

A 120 pound person can not successfully play offensive or defensive line in college and would not be recruited to do so.

I'll start this and end it with the same statement.

I find it peculiar that most Americans are offended by weight and how it relates to health. There is no denying America has the most over weight citizens.

A 120 pound person can not successfully play offensive or defensive line in college and would not be recruited to do so.

So your point is?

Correct as football requires you to be pretty large or you will get hurt, seriously hurt.

Clearly if you are jockey, small and light gives you an advantage.
In swimming, wingspan and shoulders, height matter.

And fitting into an adult extra small leo should not be a requirement to do gymnastics. You actually can be taller than 5ft and wear a larger size leo and do gymnastics and even do it well.

"Americans" are not offended by weight and how it relates to health. We all get that being overweight is a health issue.

Americans are offended by the judgement attached to a specific number or size. To the point of causing of eating disorders.

We are offended to be dismissed by preconceived notions of what body type can to what sport. Especially when it comes to women.

As someone who has spent the last year losing weight with a girl on the cusp of puberty in a sport where weight focus is common (not in our gym, one of the reasons it is our gym). We don't ever focus on words like skinny or fat. We focus on health, being physically fit. I was not comfortable or fit, now I am................

Correct as football requires you to be pretty large or you will get hurt, seriously hurt.

And fitting into an adult extra small leo should not be a requirement to do gymnastics. You actually can be taller than 5ft and wear a larger size leo and do gymnastics and even do it well.

"Americans" are not offended by weight and how it relates to health. We all get that being overweight is a health issue.

Americans are offended by the judgement attached to a specific number or size. To the point of causing of eating disorders.

We are offended to be dismissed by preconceived notions of what body type can to what sport. Especially when it comes to women.

As someone who has spent the last year losing weight with a girl on the cusp of puberty in a sport where weight focus is common (not in our gym, one of the reasons it is our gym). We don't ever focus on words like skinny or fat. We focus on health, being physically fit. I was not comfortable or fit, now I am................

Thank you...
said as someone who learned a 1 handed cartwheel ay the age of 13 - 14... 4'9' tall and 160-180 lbs-ish (Lost and gained 20 lbs in 18 months - dumb doctor).
I could also, on a beam 1 foot off the ground (the only beam I had access to) do a cartwheel, a roundoff, and a handstand into a bridge. According to the gymnastics coach that was our substitute gym teacher one day (I was bored because due to active allergic bronchitis and asthma, I was not ALLOWED to participate in the "real" gym activity, so I was playing on the beam on the stage), I did them very well. She even asked WHERE i did gymnastics... as if she thought I was on a team or at least high level rec. I was all about straight legs and pointed toes and I was flexible and i was NOT shaped like most gymnasts ... and I was a 5 year all-star baseball player, 2 year jr high volleyball player, 2 year midget football quarterback, 1 season 5th grade basketball :eek: player, 2 year dirt bike racer. I also was on the track team that spring and softball the year after that.

Glad you have become fit, it is the best thing you could do for yourself and your family. You have lead by example, I do not know you but I am proud of you.

This is the exact response that was expected.

The hoped-for response, would have been you are on to something parents owe it to their children, to teach them to eat correctly and live healthily. That message is simple its anything in moderation. My DD eats ANYTHING she wants but in moderation. Currently, her favorite food is a Fudge Pop.

I believe many people believe they can do whatever they want. That their actions have no consequences on anyone but themselves. I believe selfish actions are bankrupting our society both figuratively and monetarily.

So your point is?

I believe parents owe it to their kids to teach them healthy eating habits, anything in moderation. I believe as a parent of a gymnast it is my job to protect my daughter in any way I can. This includes not letting her destroy her body by launching that body feet in the air and crash landing over and over again while being overweight. That is a recipe for a destroyed lower body.

I know this is a sensitive issue and this is only my opinion. No one should be offended by anyone's opinion. Teach your kids that the only opinion that matters is their own, that is what I teach mine.

I find it peculiar that most Americans are offended by weight and how it relates to health.

You missed the bigger point. "Americans" are not offended by weight as it relates to health.

"Americans" are offended by the superficial judgement and bullying as it relates to weight, in particular on the higher spectrum.

When words like lazy, selfish and weak are presumed because someone is a larger size. As if weight defines the strength of character. And a person is dismissed without actually looking beyond pounds. That is what offends "Americans"

You are probably correct.

My point is let's do our best to keep weight issues out of our society. To be teased or belittled for any reason is a horrific experience that can change someone forever. An individual who struggles with weight may be struggling within themselves. They need assistance identifying and coping with whatever is troubling them.

With that said my point is about gymnastics, this board is about gymnastics. Force=Mass*Acceleration Landing from 8 feet in the air at a speed of 7 miles an hour can generate tremendous forces. The more weight that falls the more destructive forces exerted on the body. This is science.

I was just looking at the roster for Oklahoma and of 16 women on their team, 15 are 5'3" or taller. Four of them are 5'7". I'm curious about why there is still talk of people being "too tall" for gymnastics when the reigning NCAA champion team only has one competitor who is less than 5'3".

To get this topic back "on topic" - that is odd that they have so many. I have been looking at various teams as they are starting to be uploaded on their sites for the start of the season and I am seeing an average high of 5'3". You get an occasional 5'5". But hey - all the power to them! They obviously have found what works for them and how to capitalize on their height.

I believe height only holds a gymnast back because you must relearn your center of gravity. It would possibly make sense that a taller gymnast would have more growth spurts thus more relearning to do. Relearning and losing skills seem to be something that drives gymnast from the gym.

I believe height only holds a gymnast back because you must relearn your center of gravity. It would possibly make sense that a taller gymnast would have more growth spurts thus more relearning to do. Relearning and losing skills seem to be something that drives gymnast from the gym.
This was my dd's frustration. Everytime she grew her skills were thrown off.

yikes! the female college gymnasts/athletes could kick the *** of most male athletes in any sport. they drink beer, they eat some pizza from time to time and weigh 140lbs while doing some gymnastics that can beat most elite gymnast athletes. when they leave the sport they return to what everyone knows in gymnastics is their normal body type.
SWR is important...but weight overall is over rated. yep, probably not so good on their ACL's but that is more a function of the "Q" angle in women. if they didn't have that no one would be concerned.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back