Are the parents in your gym close?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We usually try to sit together at meets and at awards. Not always do-able, seeting can be a problem. We at least try for the same area though. It can also be a factor of numbers. Some parents are bringing a support system with them (other kids, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) and it's hard to find seating for everyone together.

Most of us parent's get along extremely well without worrying about what level our dds are. There are a few exceptions, not that they don't get along, just that they don't seem to fit. Sometimes they sit with everyone else, sometimes not.

Our gym has 30 team members levels 4-10. We try to go watch and cheer on the girls in other levels as much as possible (bar having to stay an extra night at hotel to do that). When we do get to watch the girls in other levels, we try to sit with those parents and help them cheer on all of their dds.

I find that some of us parents (with dds on different levels...doesn't have to be same level) like to plan to stay at the same hotels. It makes for a fun weekend of bonding...sitting around the pool at the hotel, or going out to eat together. I genuinely like spending time with most of the parents, and the girls love it too. Travelling together can be a blast!

There are some parents closer than others, mainly due to whether they have ties outside the gym (family, work, school, etc) , or maybe they are stuck at the gym (due to travel time) together and bond while watching their dds. I myself am one that is stuck at the gym most days (due to travel time) and find that my favorite parents are the ones who are an open-book of friendliness (easy to talk to, sense of humor, no bitterness - comparing their dd to another). Nothing is worse than sitting in the gym waiting room for 3-4 hours staring at a wall because no one is of a talkative nature (unless the talkative one is a complainer, lol). I'm known to be texting a few of the parents that I'm closer too even when not in the gym. I also still very close with quite a few parents of ex-team members. Some are still doing gym, but have moved, I try to keep up on their meet schedules and send them a good luck message or call before they have a competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed! At my gym, all the parents sit together and cheer for each other. As there are often meets when only some are competing, gymnasts who aren't competing often come and cheer with their parents.

The team is around 40 girls and they practise on the same days - obviously some train more hours but they all know each other. All except the youngest group condition together and they all help clear away together at the end of the session. We also hold gymnast of the week ceremonies once a week with all the team - boys and girls.
I think it also helps that there are social/out of the gym events like the christmas display and awards evening that introduce parents that are new to the others.

I was just wondering if you consider the parents at your gym close? I have noticed at meets that some other gym's parents seem really close and cheer their gymnasts on together. Our gym parents seem to get along, but are not really close. We don't sit together at meets. Sometimes, parents who know each other sit together, but not as a team. For those of you whose parents are close, is there anything you think your gym does to encourage this. Is there anything our gym could do to encourage parents to get to know each other better?

Some parents are really close and have become very good fiends to eachother like you liste above. We all "get along" at a minimum and we all will save seats so we can all sit together as a team each cheering the team on. We try to work together too. Like 2 of the parents at the level my DD is at are really good with the camera and taking photos so they will take photos of every girl on our team at that level and post them online for us to download if we want them. I love that because I so stink at still shots.

I can't say however that i am really close to any of the parents simply because we live in the opposit direction from most at my daughters level so its harder to get closer as there is no carpooling, its hard to do playdates etc.

hahah...no, not really

Which is pretty ironic seeing as the President of the Commitee wants our club to be 'friendly'...*coughs and throws up in the corner*
Some of the parents are great! But some of them are very very proud and jealous...yea our club is kinda...iffy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back