are these skills A's or B's??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

katy

Gymnast/Coach
greetings,
we are competing in the ladies division for aau in july just for fun. our gym is a rec gym, so we don't konw what skills are A's and what are B's
beam - front pike dismount
- wolf jump
- what are other B jumps on beam
floor - jump full in tuck position
- wolf 1/2
- stradle 3/4
- full turn with leg at horizontal
- 1 1/2 turn (can this be done turning on the back foot as long as i step backwards at the end?)
- what are other B turns on one foot
- what are other B jumps on floor

we need two tumbling passes with three skills that contain flight. one of the ladies doesn't think she will have her back tuck in time. can she do a ro bhs bhs for the first pass and then the same for her second pass, but bhs step outs? any recommendations for a second pass. she doesn't like fhs. is an aerial a skill with flight?

wow, that's a lot. thanks in advance,
katy

I can answer some, but not all of these.

A tuck jump 1/1 is a B on floor. I believe it's a C on beam, but I'm not sure about that.

I'm pretty sure a Straddle 3/4 is a C on floor. On beam I would guess it's a D, but you should double check that.

As for tumbling passes, RO BHS BHS and RO BHS BHS stepout count as the same pass, I believe. You might try RO BHS BHS as one pass and front handspring stepout roundoff as a second (a lot of my girls have used these as their tumbling passes)

This mostly uses USAG rules and values, correct? In the USAG code:

Beam:
front pike dismount=A (layout=B, lay half=B, full either position=C)
wolf jump=A (this is a relatively recent change)
B jumps= split jump, pike jump

Floor:
tuck 1/1=B (1 1/2=C)
straddle 3/4=a 1/2 is a B and a 1/1 is a C, I thought 3/4 was a B too
Wolf half=B
full turn leg horizontal=B
1 1/2 turn=B (2/1=C)

An aerial should count as flight, but it would be hard to use if connection was necessary. The third skill that's the same won't count but can receive execution deductions. On beam, a two foot BHS and a BHS step out are not consider the same skill in that regard, i.e. a gymnast can perform a BHS step out-BHS step out, and later a wolf jump-two foot BHS, and receive credit for an acro series and a gym-acro series. I haven't ever had the situation come up on floor, but FWIW that's how it works on beam. Like a split jump/leap and straddle jump are considered the same shape whereas a switch split is a different shape. For tumbling w/ flight, what we would commonly use in high school was dive rolls.

Wait, you're saying a straddle 1/2 is worth more than a straddle 3/4? That can't be right.

No, 1/2 is a B and a 1/1 is a C. I don't really know for sure what the 3/4 is valued, but I had assumed it was a B, which would make them the same value. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for straddle 3/4 on floor to be a C. The beam values are the same for 1/2 and 3/4 too (higher for 1/1).

thanks, that helps. so a pike jump on beam is worth more than a wolf? i competed 15 years ago and no one did wolfs then. now it sounds like i am back to the pike (if it is a "B").
the dive roll for start of the second pass is a great idea, i will pass along that info.

No, 1/2 is a B and a 1/1 is a C. I don't really know for sure what the 3/4 is valued, but I had assumed it was a B, which would make them the same value. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for straddle 3/4 on floor to be a C. The beam values are the same for 1/2 and 3/4 too (higher for 1/1).

There are no 3/4's on floor. A 3/4 is an over-turned 1/2 or an underturned full. The judge makes the call and takes deductions accordingly.

Beam is the only place a 1/4 makes a difference.

Well then that would explain my confusion :) I was going to say I've never really dealt with 3/4 jumps on floor but then I thought maybe I just don't pay attention enough (which is pretty accurate) or maybe it's just like level 7 or 8.

i only wanted to do a 3/4 to face the correct direction on the floor. 1/2s are much easier. i'll rework that in. in the modified optionals, ladies division, if you do a "C" your routine is disqualified.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back