WAG Are Warm-Up Leos a Thing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flippin'A

Proud Parent
I have a funny question. My DD just got invited to level 3 (which is excellent) and we got all the info about what we'll need to buy/pay for for the coming season (slightly less excellent, but expected.) There were all the usual things with meet fees, sweats, a comp leo, etc. but I noticed it didn't mention a warm up leotard. I asked one of the higher level parents about it and she didn't even seem to know what I was talking about.

When I competed, we always wore a tank leo during open stretch and then to warm up each event, and then we'd change into our long sleeved comp leo before march in. Is this not a thing anymore? I know colleges still do it because I've taken DD to a few meets, but maybe it's fallen out of favor in JO. Or maybe it was just a trend in the region I competed in and I just thought it was widespread? So glad I have chalkbucket to ask these random questions.

Never heard of it. We have team practice leos that the girls are supposed to wear on a specific day for team unity but that's the only required leo besides the competition leo.

It depends on the meet format. College meets still use the traditional meet format(full warmup on all events first, then 30 sec touch right before each event competed), but JO meets have moved away from this. You are correct it used to be more common. Almost all meets are now modified traditional(short open warmup then timed warmup on each event right before competing it) or modified capital cup(Two sets of equip, short open warmup then each flight does timed warmups right before competing, flight 2 warms up on other set while flight 1 competing). You can fit more kids in a meet this way, total warmup time is shorter.

Yeah, no official "warm up" leo here, but we do have a "team workout leo". The girls only wear that to practice though, not meets.

That's so funny. It never occurred to me that they weren't used anymore. But I'm certainly not complaining about not having to pay for one! Thanks for the answers, everyone.

How/where did you used to change? I can't imagine 60+ gymnasts trying to all change at the same time in any of the facilities we have been at. :eek:
Lol. When you say it like that it definitely sounds insane. If there was a locker room or changing area we'd go in there, otherwise the bathroom. You'd usually just shove yourself in wherever you could find a corner. It felt completely normal so I never gave it a second thought. Everyone did it at every single meet I competed in, even my high school team. Granted, my team didn't travel much, and I never made it past states, so maybe it was just a weird thing that was popular in my area.

I used to do that as a gymnast, but I am old. I competed in the 70’s & 80’s and started coaching in 1986. My gymnasts have never done it.

High school teams around here still have warm-up leos, but they also still use Traditional meet format (warm-up everything, change/march-in, compete). I haven't been to a JO meet using that format in years.
But, it's not uncommon for gyms to ask gymnasts to buy a sleeveless team leo for practices where they want to look more uniform or in-gym demos or shows.

I would feel sorry for the coach who had to supervise a gaggle of level 3’s into changing leos o_O My kid has dropped her warmup jacket into the toilet trying to change in a bathroom stall.....:D

:D This just made me laugh. We were at a meet this weekend that combined level 3's and 4's - I forgot how young some of those 3's are! And you put a whole bunch of them together in an exciting environment like a meet... literally like herding cats!

Never heard of it but some gyms have adopted a 'team practice Leo' which might be worn by all gymnasts one training a week or the last practice before a meet etc.

I've never seen a gym do this at one of DD's meets. We have been to college meets & it's done there.

For T&T yes - but that's because for the higher level kids they have a "training session" that is usually on a different day than competition.

For T&T yes - but that's because for the higher level kids they have a "training session" that is usually on a different day than competition.
Really? I didn’t realize anyone did that- both gyms that my DD went to just had the kids train in whatever practice wear they chose. Interesting!

We've actually seen it quite a bit this year. We did practice leos this year because of nationals and regionals and training sessions. Plus, at our gym, all the teams have "practice" leos that get worn on the last practice before a meet as a team thing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back