Parents Are your kids able to compete this season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We had a mock meet in December - in their small practice groups - 1 judge - 2 spectators per gymnast.
We have a meet scheduled in February and a meet in March. District Championships are scheduled for April. Regionals are scheduled for May. Y Nationals 2021 was cancelled way back on November 17.

DD's team has had 4 in-person meets so far. All with limited spectators (2 per gymnast) and all required masks of everyone except the gymnasts while they were competing or warming up their events. All required they have their own chalk and spray bottles. One meet wasn't checking the limits but the venue was large enough that everyone could still spread out with a lot of room to spare. It was a last minute spectator limit so they didn't seem prepared for it. That same meet did temp checks at the door however. 3 meets left on the schedule before state.

The gym we had our in person meet with did a great job of following covid guidelines for our state, and had everything approved by the health dpt. We are in one of the states with the strictest guidelines so they had to be very careful. There were only 50 kids or so per session, you only rotated with your own team, spectators were spread out and wearing masks. Awards were in a large room with 3 times as much space as you would need for the gymnasts and parents.

Our gym is doing in-person meets mostly to score girls out as the focus has been on up-training and not perfecting routines.

We did lose a couple of gymnasts that wanted to compete and were frustrated with the uncertain schedule along with what it meant for them going forward, so they decided to move on to something else.

In my state, things are all over the board. Some meets are going forward in-person (1 spectator, masks, distance), some have cancelled, some are all virtual, and some are in-person with a virtual option. DD's first meet is this weekend and will be all virtual (not clear to me if it will be live or taped). Next meet is not for about a month, and right now is supposed to be in-person. State and regional meets are still on the calendar. I *think* our current state rules require capacity to be 25% or less for in-person, although I have no idea of in-person meets are actually complying. I am personally happy that DD's meet this weekend is all virtual (for a variety of reasons including health/safety).

So far DD has had one in person meet. "I" was nervous, but it turned out ok with plenty of room to space out and most spectators wearing masks. Another meet cancelled and there is a duo meet scheduled with another local team this weekend. Very thoughtful mitigation at this one. She has several more still scheduled this season but we are just taking each day as it comes and are grateful for whatever she is able to do this year.

DD's team has had 4 in-person meets so far. All with limited spectators (2 per gymnast) and all required masks of everyone except the gymnasts while they were competing or warming up their events. All required they have their own chalk and spray bottles. One meet wasn't checking the limits but the venue was large enough that everyone could still spread out with a lot of room to spare. It was a last minute spectator limit so they didn't seem prepared for it. That same meet did temp checks at the door however. 3 meets left on the schedule before state.
That is good to be 4 meets in!!

The gym we had our in person meet with did a great job of following covid guidelines for our state, and had everything approved by the health dpt. We are in one of the states with the strictest guidelines so they had to be very careful. There were only 50 kids or so per session, you only rotated with your own team, spectators were spread out and wearing masks. Awards were in a large room with 3 times as much space as you would need for the gymnasts and parents.
That is awesome, I am seeing they can plan for these meets and make safe choices for these kids to compete!

Reactions: SMH
Our gym is doing in-person meets mostly to score girls out as the focus has been on up-training and not perfecting routines.

We did lose a couple of gymnasts that wanted to compete and were frustrated with the uncertain schedule along with what it meant for them going forward, so they decided to move on to something else.
Not a bad idea to do for sure, especially with all the uncertainty about whether they will get to the next meet or not.. I also think many gymnast have left the sport due to all the unknowns as well as lack of being able to train.

In my state, things are all over the board. Some meets are going forward in-person (1 spectator, masks, distance), some have cancelled, some are all virtual, and some are in-person with a virtual option. DD's first meet is this weekend and will be all virtual (not clear to me if it will be live or taped). Next meet is not for about a month, and right now is supposed to be in-person. State and regional meets are still on the calendar. I *think* our current state rules require capacity to be 25% or less for in-person, although I have no idea of in-person meets are actually complying. I am personally happy that DD's meet this weekend is all virtual (for a variety of reasons including health/safety).
It's good that she can still train as well as compete even if it is virtual.

So far DD has had one in person meet. "I" was nervous, but it turned out ok with plenty of room to space out and most spectators wearing masks. Another meet cancelled and there is a duo meet scheduled with another local team this weekend. Very thoughtful mitigation at this one. She has several more still scheduled this season but we are just taking each day as it comes and are grateful for whatever she is able to do this year.
I feel for the most part .. or what i have seen this far, is that the meets that have been in person have been run very well with as many precautions as possible! Honestly i am even okay with them not having any spectators if they get to compete!

Is anyone in Colorado? I'd like to know how their meets are going, since regionals will be there, if they happen.

Is anyone in Colorado? I'd like to know how their meets are going, since regionals will be there, if they happen.

We have a meet this weekend and Feb 6 in CO. No spectators. That is all I know so far, but that has been the norm that I have heard from other parents.

One in gym event so far, very small sessions, 1 spectator per gymnasts. We shall see if any larger events actually happen. As of right now, the gym is hoping to do a couple more in house meets (I think) but those haven't been officially scheduled. We had a schedule, then many of those meets were canceled, so who really knows. The one in gym was sanctioned so it counted if there is a post season or for mobility. As of right now, that is all my DD needed, so I am not really concerned about the rest of the season. I hope we get one, but if not, she is good.

Three or four regular season meets on the schedule starting February. All in state. Plus state and regionals. All in person at this point. One or two parents allowed at the first two meets. That may change depending on the state’s restrictions at the time. I have resigned myself to the fact that I may not be able to attend all of their meets this season due to the restrictions in tickets. But I’m just happy that they can practice and perhaps even compete this season.

Taking aside that my daughter took a break due to covid, she wouldn’t have had the opportunity to compete. College club gym seems to have shut down hard- her school hasn’t even practiced since last February.

Obviously different here again. We had a season in 2020, but it was pushed later than normal. Our kids normally compete June-September, but all their their comps were September and October.

We have a full season planned this year. Obviously no cases but still restrictions. Halls can have a maximum 1 person per 2 square metres, enter the building (same as gyms). Hand sanitizer and contact tracing.

My daughter’s season runs from about May to August. We did not get a 2020 season at all in my state of Australia. I think the level 8-10 girls got one competition in before the first shutdown last year, and then that was it for the year for everyone. Last year was such a waste - not just the loss of the season, as we do not do that many competitions anyway, but the disruption to training and the number of girls who just did not return after shutdown.

There is a comp calendar out for this year and we are all crossing our fingers that some of it will happen. Things are going fairly well here right now because there is little or no covid at any given time. But because there is sometimes no covid (outside of the quarantine program set up for incoming travellers), the government reaction to any covid at all is swift and serious and a single ‘scary’ case (one they think might have spread before they found it) can cause events to be cancelled or interstate borders closed very quickly.

I cannot see us signing up for interstate competitions though no matter how good things might look. Too financially risky with the border situation being what it is.

Lots of girls are just skipping the level they would have competed last year. Mine has all the skills for the next level up, but does not want to. She knows her routines and she is desperate to finally perform them for a judge.

My daughter's gym is doing a few in-house virtual meets. Live with virtual judges, no spectators but parents can watch online if they want. She would be happy to skip the meets and just uptrain, but putting on the competition leotard and going through the motions of a meet was fun and motivating for the girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back