Parents are your kids in anything

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
Else? like any other sports or Music or church???

my kids do dance as well as Gymnastics!!
there dad is Almost starting to want to FORCE them to try soccer or softball!! they show VERY little interest!! I am all for it if thats what they want!! but It doesnt seem like it!!!

I have a 22 month old and a 3 week old, both girls. My older daughter does gymnastics, of course.

As far as the future for my girls, I agree with both you and your husband. Multiple activities are a good thing, especially team sports (I don't consider dance or gymnastics team sports). I don't think they should do something they don't like...but they don't know if they like it until they have participated in at least one season.

My girls will not be able to quit part way into something like soccer or softball. They will finish the whole season, just like my father required from me. I will give them several choices to choose from...they will choose one (or I will help them)...they will participate the whole season.

If one of the choices turns out to be the favorite...I will have no problem with them dropping gymnastics. I don't care what my daughters do, but they must do something. I feel it is my job to expose them to many activities so they may make an educated choice for their future. Maybe I'll have a gymnast...maybe a motocross racer...maybe a doctor...maybe a F/A-18 pilot...or maybe just an ordinary person. Whatever...but they will have many experiences to choose from.:)

Edit: Activities could include things besides sports (ie. music, IT (computer) classes, fine arts, etc.)

Last edited:
Well, my kids ski, snowboard and ice skate in the winter, but that is always a family or friends activity. They have done ski lessons, but both girls had to decide at around seven to do ski racing or gymnastics. They wanted to do both, but financially and time wise that was not a reality.

They swim in summer and play outdoors a lot. I cannot imagine putting them in any other sports right now, there are just not enough hours in a week, They only train about 8 hours a week, but oldest DD and her 14 yr old brother spend two hours a day on a school bus, leaving at 8am and returning at 5pm. Rural living at it's best.

Also not many options availble here. My beloved son does no organised sport as ice hockey and soccer are not his thing.

I was a gymnast and a rock climber. For quite a few years I also did swimming during the summer, and I loved it. Eventually, in my opinion, it got to be too much for me, so I quit swimming. I had teammates who did gymnastics and softball at the same time, or gym and track, etc. Most of them only did 2 at a time if they did another sport.

My daughter did some figure skating--declared it boring, swimming and a little soccer before settling on gymnastics. Now, we can't even mention anything else. Its certainly eaisier to let them try other activities when they are young and before they get on team, but its a good time to see if the interest in gymnastics is really there. Now, that she practices 14 hours/week, its impossible to do another sport or after school things since practice starts right after school. I am insisting that next year, she do band(its a class during the school day) to just get to know other kids and try something else.

M is only 5 1/2 so gymnastics is her main afterschool activity. She does go to Awana clubs at our church on Sunday eves. But with full-day kindergarten and gymnastics, that's about enough at her age.

My older son, 11, has been in martial arts since he was 5. He also takes golf lessons and Awana.

It's always a balancing act between getting them exposed and involved in different things and overscheduling them so they can't play and be kids. The dilema of modern motherhood!;)

My 15 month old loves to drink milk, bounce on her butt on the trampoline, and watch her Baby Einstein videos....what a life

My dd is also in dance and plays t-ball (last year she tried soccer) and she participates in our youth ballet. She was in the nutcracker last year and will soon be in Peter Pan - she really loves the ballet. She also begged me to do a spring cheerleading program while her brothers play flag football and I gave in, it is only a few weeks so I don't mind so much, but between getting ready for dance recitals, the ballet , t-ball practice and then gymnastics - well April and May are pretty busy this year... at home she loves to practice or "create" routines for me to watch (usually to Annie, wizard of oz or Hannah Montana - lol) ... and her most fave of all is playing w/her STICKER books - she is nuts about stickers:D ... My sons play f-ball, flag f-ball, my youngest son plays baseball and they weight train... My older son would love to get involved w/karate in some form, but right now is enjoying T & T. :eek: sounds busy, but we still have plenty of time on our hands to just hang out and watch a movie or play games:)

My daughter's gymnastics schedule during fall/winter/spring leaves little time for other organized sports; however, she does play softball in the summer. I totally agree with JBS... there were a few times during the hot summer when she wanted to quit softball, but we insisted that she finish the season and re-evaluate for the next summer. I think gymnastics is a little different, because she has invested so much... if she wanted to quit gymnastics, we would ask her to give it careful consideration for a week or two and then decide. My son, who is a year younger, plays baseball in the summer, and plays hockey and does tae-kwon-do all year round. My husband and I kid that we could be driving some sweet cars if it weren't for all the sport costs, but in reality, given the opportunity, we wouldn't change a thing!!

My daughter's gymnastics schedule during fall/winter/spring leaves little time for other organized sports; however, she does play softball in the summer. I totally agree with JBS... there were a few times during the hot summer when she wanted to quit softball, but we insisted that she finish the season and re-evaluate for the next summer. I think gymnastics is a little different, because she has invested so much... if she wanted to quit gymnastics, we would ask her to give it careful consideration for a week or two and then decide. My son, who is a year younger, plays baseball in the summer, and plays hockey and does tae-kwon-do all year round. My husband and I kid that we could be driving some sweet cars if it weren't for all the sport costs, but in reality, given the opportunity, we wouldn't change a thing!!

Very true about gymnastics...there are up and down times. If my child wanted to quit gymnastics, I would have to see that trend over several months. Not just a bad meet, practice, or week.

No, we limit our kids to one major activity at a time. My daughter is already practicing 10-12 hours a week for gymnastics. Her two brothers are in baseball right now; the oldest one also wrestles in the winter when there is no baseball. Even with only one activity apiece, we usually only have one or two weeknights with everyone home for dinner.

Before she started competing, Rachel was in Brownies. But we felt that the time commitment required by Competitive Gymnastics really prevented her from doing anything else. Our kids also need time to go play in the backyard and just be kids.

Kathleen

My daughter was doing tap/ballet up until last June. With the additional hours moving up to level 4 we gave that up. She also tried flag cheerleading & wouldn't sign up this year, she was bored (too much standing around time!)and most of her friends moved up to the next level. Oh, and she HATED the turtleneck leotard underneath, LOL She is also in Scouts and is trying T-ball. Her first practice is on Monday and she was happy the Easter bunny brought her a pink bat, pink helmet and of course pink spikes, LOL!

My boys (and my DH) are very involved in Jr baseball right now & also do Scouts year round. My husband is a coach for both teams. My oldest (11)also is involved in drama and band. They've both tried football and soccer and didn't really like it. Like others have mentioned, I also preach "finish what you started". Some of these sport seasons are so short by the time they figure out they don't like it the season is almost over anyway.

I soo agree on finishing out the season or session what ever it may be!!
my youngest dd did floor hockey last year and liked it but didnt want to do it anymore!! I just get frustrated with my dh when I can see the girls start saying yes to his things then turn around and tell me they dont want too!! they want there gymnastics and dance!! I do know they learn other styles of sports once they hit school ! I have found out all the things my oldest is getting at school gym class!! they have gym 2 days and 1 day off!! so they get plenty of that time as well!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My two girls both were in competitive cheer.Both reached the highest level. My 13 year old is going on her 7th year in cheer and my 11 year old did 4 seasons of cheer and is now in gymnastics. Both loved cheer but the 11 year old got worn out from it.She is now a level 6 gymnast. The 13 year old just loves cheer and also coaches one of our mini and youth squads along with being on her sr team.

Dd does soccer

My dd is now a Level 7 gymnast (starting this summer) and is also a competitive soccer player. The only reason this is possible is because my dh is the coach of the soccer team and tailors the soccer practices around the gym schedule.

As a level 6 gymnast she was in the gym 14 hours a week M,W,F & Sat mornings. Soccer practice fell on T & Th and games were in the afternoons on Sat.

This yr might be the yr that she has to choose (we already know it is gymnastics) not because of the 20hrs a week for Level 7s but the fact that Sat practices move to 12-4pm and that is basically the times for when all of the soccer games would take place. It would not be worth for her to be on the team.

Funny thing is we have 4 gymnasts (including dd) that play on the same soccer team because of the way dh does the schedule. If it wasn't for him none of those girls would have the opportunity to do soccer in addition to gymnastics.

It's such a shame, I am waiting for the fall hours to come out to make sure of that Saturday schedule, but I have a feeling it is not going to work out. I do have to say though that it is pretty amazing that the girls have been able to play as long as they did!

Dd plays softball in the summer. In the winter, both kids ski. Dd has been on ski team, but didn't do it this winter. Both kids tried hockey this winter. So far, gymnastics is the only sport ds really has gotten into. He's a great skiier, but hasn't tried racing yet.

My dd attends gym 20+ hours a week. She is 10, however she dives competitively in the summer. She practices when she is at the pool on her own and goes to the meets. Very low key. Other than that, when she is not in the gym,she reluctantly goes to her siblings soccer and baseball games.

Hailey does dance as well as gymnastics, she is a 5 year old training level 4/5 gymnastics, due to age right now they practice 4 1/2 hours per week, was supposed to be 3 3/4 hours but her coach added 15 minutes to each of their 3 practices, not a biggie they didn't even notice the extra time. She LOVES both gym and dance and at this point wants to do them both. she can hit the ball really well but did not want to take t-ball this year, she's watched her sister play softball this year though and seems more interested, however like others have mentioned the gym schedule is quite tough to plan around the higher their levels go. by next summer she will be practicing 9-10 hours per week they say. During the summer she also take swimming lessons, but that is low key and fun. My other daughter is a rec. gymnast whom was offered to do preteam this year but I declined for now (wasn't sure this was right for her just yet--meaning too much practice I thought might take away the fun of gym for her) of course right after I declined her attitude towards going to gym more often takes a 180 and she got her ro bhs on the floor, jump to the high bar etc etc. oh well at least if she's ready next year she'll have lots of skills:) so my oldest will do rec gym 1 1/2 hours right now, but since Hailey will be in gym more i'll put her in two classes a week in the fall, also my oldest does brownies, and softball and will start piano this fall.
Becky

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back