WAG Arizona Sunrays owner Dan Witenstein has been added to the permanently Ineligible list

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Terrible news and so sad. If Jade’s dad or someone else can’t take over the gym I wonder if they would be able to rent out or secure another place to train nearby.

Anyone know what the specific bylaw is for? From my understanding it is a case that was reopened. He was on the list and then removed back in 2018 for something that occurred in 1986. I could be wrong.

Anyone know what the specific bylaw is for? From my understanding it is a case that was reopened. He was on the list and then removed back in 2018 for something that occurred in 1986. I could be wrong.

I’m not so sure he was cleared. I know that an article I read from 2018 said cleared....but the article I read back then was quoting either his gym or him where they stated he was cleared after a short time and taken back off the list.

Could be me, but it makes much more sense that what really happened in 2018 was that he was placed on interim suspension (like Haney during investigation)....he appealed the interim suspension and they took interim measures off. Meanwhile the investigation has been ongoing since 2018 and this permanent ban is the outcome of the end of the investigation

I’m not so sure he was cleared. I know that an article I read from 2018 said cleared....but the article I read back then was quoting either his gym or him where they stated he was cleared after a short time and taken back off the list.

Could be me, but it makes much more sense that what really happened in 2018 was that he was placed on interim suspension (like Haney during investigation)....he appealed the interim suspension and they took interim measures off. Meanwhile the investigation has been ongoing since 2018 and this permanent ban is the outcome of the end of the investigation
That is correct, he was never actually cleared in the first place but his attorneys were able to argue that he should be able to coach while the investigation progressed. My question is why does it take 2 more years to complete an investigation?! Are they backlogged with that many coaching perverts that an offender gets to coach for 2 more years?

That is correct, he was never actually cleared in the first place but his attorneys were able to argue that he should be able to coach while the investigation progressed. My question is why does it take 2 more years to complete an investigation?! Are they backlogged with that many coaching perverts that an offender gets to coach for 2 more years?
Yes. From my limited experience in cases handled by The US Center For SafeSport (and this would’ve been handled by the center, not USAG SS) it’s a min of a year and half to two years from start to finish. They are extremely backlogged and are really a relatively new Organization so probably need to streamline their system a bit. I have hope that they are learning and changing as they go and will get better at timetables soon.

I am not sure I like throwing Riley’s name in here, especially as the thread title. Makes me feel a little more than uncomfortable.
I don't know how to edit it, but she sure did get a raw deal. That was the point of the title.

I don't know how to edit it, but she sure did get a raw deal. That was the point of the title.

She definitely did, but it seems more negativity for her when she is trying to move on. If anything the title should be the name of the coach and the gym. If you create a new title I can fix it, if not I will just ignore.

It’s sad. But From my understanding they are extremely backlogged due to overwhelming reports of mental treatment and bad coach reporting. These Reports whether true or not were logging the system and they have now put that responsibility on USAG to investigate mental abuse And bad coaches why they handle the sexual report cases.

Imagine the amount of bad coaching reports they have to sift through. There isn’t enough manpower for that.

Is there a way to tell what he was apparently guilty for? So, if Safe Sport investigates and found him guilty, shouldn't parents be able to find out why?

Is there a way to tell what he was apparently guilty for? So, if Safe Sport investigates and found him guilty, shouldn't parents be able to find out why?
It said Safesport IX (C) was the reason. Here is SafeSport IX (c)
SS IX (C).jpg

You can look it up in Safesport. It’s listed as:
Subject to appeal / not yet final), Sexual Misconduct - involving a MinorPermanent Ineligibility

ok so i am confused if it is subject to appeal still, then there is a possibility for the to take him off again.

ok so i am confused if it is subject to appeal still, then there is a possibility for the to take him off again.
Yes. The way The Center works, the accused has the right to ask for an arbitrator to hear the case. By doing that both parties agree that the arbitrator’s decision and rulings are binding. The arbitration usually takes place within a few weeks-months depending on lawyers timelines.

Yes. The way The Center works, the accused has the right to ask for an arbitrator to hear the case. By doing that both parties agree that the arbitrator’s decision and rulings are binding. The arbitration usually takes place within a few weeks-months depending on lawyers timelines.
Just curious. How do both parties agree if it's the accused who chooses arbitration?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back