WAG Arms in bhs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rsm

Proud Parent
DD is currently training level 4 and working on ROBHS. She is doing pretty well and can get it occasionally without a spot. But most of the time it seems her arms "buckle" when they hit the floor, so her head touches the mat and she ends up with a back headspring. She has managed to overcome this when doing a bridge and her back walkover. She started doing both the same way. Just wondering if there's anything I can tell her that will help since she is getting a little frustrated. Or any drills she can work on at home. She is pretty strong, so I don't think that's the issue, and she still has lots of time to learn it, but she does get frustrated since she can't seem to control it. I'm sure it's just a matter of more practice, but that's not what she wants to hear right now. Oh, and she's 6. Thanks for any help or advice.

It doesn't sound like a problem to me.....more like an evolutionary phase, and you shouldn't tell her anything. The same coaches that got her to the point she's at can help her more than anyone.

I'll help you out with some general info on the phase she's going through so you can understand it for yourself......Most kids think they need to work their chin and chest around to help them get upside down. When they do this they create some posture and balance problems through the handstand phase of the skill. Trying to correct this action is often futile until they've gone around and upside down enough times, and get a little more relaxed about that aspect of the skill.....so just give her some time....something six year olds with bhs have plenty of.

We have one girl on my daughter's team who does the same thing. Hers occurs because she is coming out of her BHS and is jumping a little sideways instead of straight back and putting more weight on one arm, which is not strong enough to bear the additional weight. At least that's what the coach says.

You also want her arms next to her ears, the further the arm/hands are apart, the more stress she is putting on the elbow joint, which could also cause the bending.

Thank you for the responses. It does seem like what she is missing most is confidence. But she has seen her friends progress a little faster than her which she isn't used to, so she's a little frustrated. Of course, I'll leave to her coaches to fix the problem, but it's good to know that it's normal for some to go through and I can continue to preach patience and sticking to it.

My 6 year old DD is going through this also. Glad to hear it's totally normal and hopefully shall pass soon!

My DD went through this too and with her it was basically from fear. Even a subconscious level of fear - basically she would consciously order her arms to be straight but her body would override her and bend them. I would suggest lots of spotted BHS until arms are consistently straight and then make the spot gradually lighter until barely touching. Ideally the coaches would be doing this when they work with her. I don't think it works well to have kids trying it over and over and keep landing on their heads.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back