Aspire 1 vs. JO 7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CANgymmom

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! My dd trains aspire 1, but will be going to the US to compete JO 7. What are the different skill requirements between Aspire 1 and JO 7?

Thanks!

The Aspire 1 routines on floor/beam/bars do meet the L7 requirements but they contain extra elements which may lead to more deductions. Typically the Aspire 1 routines will be modified to remove the extra elements to score better in JO.

The L7 vault is a FHS to feet.

There are more options for the L7 vault though.
1.101 Handspring
1.102 Handspring - 1/2 twist off
1.103 Yamash!ta
1.104 Yamash!ta - 1/2 twist off
1.105 1/2 twist On-1/2 twist Off OR 1/4 twist On-3/4 twist Off
1.106 1/4 to 1/2 twist On-Repulsion Off
1.201 Handspring - 1/1 Twist
1.203 Yamash!ta - 1/1 Twist
1.206 1/2 On - 1/1 Twist Off OR 1/4 On - 1 1/4 Twist Off
1.207 1/1 Twist On - Handspring OR Yamash!ta Off
1.208 1/1 Twist On - 1/2 Twist Off

There are more options for the L7 vault though.
1.101 Handspring
1.102 Handspring - 1/2 twist off
1.103 Yamash!ta
1.104 Yamash!ta - 1/2 twist off
1.105 1/2 twist On-1/2 twist Off OR 1/4 twist On-3/4 twist Off
1.106 1/4 to 1/2 twist On-Repulsion Off
1.201 Handspring - 1/1 Twist
1.203 Yamash!ta - 1/1 Twist
1.206 1/2 On - 1/1 Twist Off OR 1/4 On - 1 1/4 Twist Off
1.207 1/1 Twist On - Handspring OR Yamash!ta Off
1.208 1/1 Twist On - 1/2 Twist Off

Pretty much everyone who goes from Aspire 1 to Level 7 will do a FHS for L7 :) It's the most logical vault from the Aspire 1 required vaults (FHS + Tsuk or Yurchenko to feet on stacked mats).

What are the differences for beam and floor? The coach has not changed their Aspire routine for their upcoming meet in the states to compete JO 7. Are switch leaps allowed on the beam? Are layout halfs (?) allowed on the floor?

Thanks!!

What are the differences for beam and floor? The coach has not changed their Aspire routine for their upcoming meet in the states to compete JO 7. Are switch leaps allowed on the beam? Are layout halfs (?) allowed on the floor?

Thanks!!
Yes and yes. One C dance skill is allowed on beam/floor and all B skills are allowed.

Just looked at the Aspire 1 requirements and should be fine. Aspire routines have a couple of extra requirements more than level 7(front walkover or fhs, press handstand), and the leap/jump connection and including the acro flight in the series are not required until level 8, but are very common to see level 7's compete here. And including the layout half is fine as long as they also have the back layout and a front pass. Nothing in the Aspire 1 routines would be not allowed in level 7.

Really looks like the only change necessary to make would be vault. And you guys are ahead of us there! The aspire 1 vaults look very similar to what we will be doing at level 7 in the future!

One of the Aspire 1 back tumbling passes needs to be changed to a layout. I missed this in my original answer. Super important or you will be missing a special requirement for L7.

Thanks all!

The floor tumbling passes are 1) roundoff, BHS, layout half 2) Front Handspring, Flyspring and 3) roundoff, BHS, BHS, BHS backtuck.

Ohhhh I assumed she did the FHS FT. I think she need a forward salto for L7 so FHS Flyspring won't work. So, she will possibly be missing 2 special requirements if her routine isn't modified.

Unfortunately, she's still working on the FHS FT and its not ready for this weekend.

Will the roundoff, BHS, layout half work as the back layout requirement?

Unfortunately, she's still working on the FHS FT and its not ready for this weekend.

Will the roundoff, BHS, layout half work as the back layout requirement?

No, it needs to be a layout. That wouldn't be hard to change though, I assume she can do a layout?

Yep, either the back layout half or the back tuck needs to be changed to a layout. The front pass requirement is min two elements, at least one a salto. But if she doesn't have it, she doesn't have it.

That's too bad that the layout half doesn't work as the back layout requirement. She can actually do the back layout better than the layout half (where she sometimes falls and is still working on). The coach says that the meet is for "experience". Doesn't seem to make sense to have her compete a skill (layout half) that 1) isn't required 2) replaces a required skill and 3) she doesn't have 100% yet.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back