Parents At what age should I leave my gymnast at gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JadaBreeze

Proud Parent
Hi all! Newbie here and I've already learned SO much. When did you start leaving your gymnast at gym? My 5-year old is on preteam and has 2-hour classes twice a week. Because my husband mostly travels for work, I work full time and we have no family in town, I'm the chauffeur. I don't know many of the parents (she just joined preteam last week) so I don't feel comfortable setting up a carpool situation yet. Is she too young to leave in the hands of her coach? She has been at that gym since she was 3, knows several of the coaches by name and I think would be fine. But what's the "norm"? Wanted to know what other gym parents do. Sitting at 2-hour practices with a 2-year old is just...pretty awful and I'm quickly looking for solutions.

If you feel safe with the environment and coaches, then I think it’s just fine to leave. I stayed some of the time when my gymnast was smaller, but I’ve mostly just dropped her off since she started team (at 5 yrs old). She also has little siblings so hanging out at the gym is not really an option. Most parents at our gym don’t stay the whole time.

When my DD started on pre-Team she was 5, almost 6 and we were new to the gym. Her class was 1.5 hours a few times a week and I also had a toddler. We stayed at first (with lots of goldfish to eat and my bag of toys that only got to be played with during the times I needed him to be fairly confined and quiet). Once I got more comfortable (a month of so), I would go to the shopping area and/or a close park just so my son could run around. When you feel comfortable, just make sure they have your cell number and stay close. After awhile, you’ll be like the majority of us and hardly step foot in the gym!

I think it depends on how comfortable one is with the gym/coach and the relative maturity of the child. Personally I always felt/feel nervous leaving my kids at this age at gym practice or dance class etc. But when I have to, I make sure another mom I know (even if I just know her a little, from small talk while watching practice) is going to be around and exchange phone/text numbers. Just in case. It just makes me feel more comfortable. I would also suggest ask the gym or coach what the protocol is as far as contacting parents if something happens during practice.

What is their procedure for dismissing the kids? That would be my only concern. Otherwise, I figure it isn’t that different than her going to Kindergarten. You don’t stay for that.

If they just kind of let the kids go because they are assuming all parents are there, I’d give the coaches & gym a heads-up that you aren’t staying. That way they also won’t “send her out to mom” for any other issues and they know they need to call you if there are any problems.

I guess it depends on the gym, at my dd gym once kids are on team the coaches don’t expect you to stay, I don’t think any parent stays for the whole time.
If there’s a problem eg injury, illness they call you to come collect and the kids remain with the coaches until you get there. I’ve been more than happy to leave my dd since she’s been on squad from the age of 6.

Once kids are 5, the vast majority of parents in our gym will leave them there. All classes for 5 years olds (even beginner rec) are at least 1 1/2 hours so a long time for a parent to sit, especially if there are younger siblings involved.

They do stay at school all day without parents. If your gym allows open viewing then this is helps add to the safety factor. At any time yiu are welcome to view what your child is doing and 'tis keeps staff accountable.

I had a toddler when DD was 4-5 and it was hard to keep him occupied in the lobby. I would take him to the local library, park, or mcD's once DD started going for 2hr practices. DD felt very comfortable and didn't need me to watch her practices. Not sure what I would have done if she was more needy. It really depends on your child's comfort level. I did make sure I was within a 10 min drive if the gym in case anything happened. As she went up in hours and got more comfortable with minor injuries and me not being immediately there (relying on her coaches for support), I felt more comfortable going home (30 min).

It also depends on the child. My child had huge separation anxiety at that age. At five I wouldn't have been able to leave. It took a lot of work to get her secure and comfortable with my leaving. By seven she was a champ. Its not just your comfort and is the gym OK with it. The child also needs to be comfortable.

It really does depend on the child. My DD didn't care that much if I was there when she was six. My son wanted me to see every new thing. Even now at 14, he will have a friend video a new skill on his phone so he can show me. Thank goodness their gym has wireless -- I did a good bit of the research for a book there, lol.

The most important thing you can do as a parent of a preteamer is let the coach do the coaching. Accustom your DD to attending to the coach completely during practice. A lot of kids get really excited about gym in the early years and want to do a lot of stuff at home. Discourage them from doing skills they haven't mastered. Flexibility is great at home, as are handstands once they have mastered technique. Flipping not so much. Also discourage them from overdoing any backbending skills. Too much too early can lead to years of back problems down the road. And if you have one who isn't interested in being upside down all the time, don't worry about it!.

Mostly just enjoy. It is really fun at this stage! Everyone will tell you this, but it goes very fast -- if she falls in love with it, she'll be competing before you know it.

It really does depend on the child. My DD didn't care that much if I was there when she was six. My son wanted me to see every new thing. Even now at 14, he will have a friend video a new skill on his phone so he can show me. Thank goodness their gym has wireless -- I did a good bit of the research for a book there, lol.

The most important thing you can do as a parent of a preteamer is let the coach do the coaching. Accustom your DD to attending to the coach completely during practice. A lot of kids get really excited about gym in the early years and want to do a lot of stuff at home. Discourage them from doing skills they haven't mastered. Flexibility is great at home, as are handstands once they have mastered technique. Flipping not so much. Also discourage them from overdoing any backbending skills. Too much too early can lead to years of back problems down the road. And if you have one who isn't interested in being upside down all the time, don't worry about it!.

Mostly just enjoy. It is really fun at this stage! Everyone will tell you this, but it goes very fast -- if she falls in love with it, she'll be competing before you know it.

Thank you so much for the tidbits. SO helpful. We've already made some mistakes in letting her do a ton of backbends and kick overs but know better do better, right? We will refrain from having her do them at home from now on. Sometimes our girl gets so obsessed with trying to master skills that she asks myself or my husband to "help" her and we're like NOPE...ask your coach!

I mostly based it on class length, once the kids were independent enough as far as the bathroom, which is in the main public hallway. Once they were in classes longer than an hour, I would often leave. Shorter than that made leaving a coming back not worth my time.

great replies and I agree...but go in and wait for the class to start and wait like 5-10 minutes maybe then head out? Now I just drop my daughter off and don't even get out of the car most of the times :) They grow so fast and gain freedom. Good luck!

we discourage viewing team in our gym, UNLESS.. your kid is 6 or younger. In that case please stick around unless they don't want you there. :)

I also started leaving my dd at age 6 when she went to 2 hr practices. She had been in different grpups there for maybe 1.5 yrs before that, which I mostly stayed for, that were shorter. I did sometimes leave for quick errands before that which was a nice way to 'ease' into it.

My DD gets disappointed if she gets a new skill and I'm not in the gym to see, and she's 12. I leave her pretty often and have since she started team at 7. Nowadays they all want videos of skills for instagram! LOL

Reactions: sce
My DD gets disappointed if she gets a new skill and I'm not in the gym to see, and she's 12. I leave her pretty often and have since she started team at 7. Nowadays they all want videos of skills for instagram! LOL
We have a 12 year old that wants her mom (or dad ... if mom cant) there for the entire practice - every practice.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back