Parents Athlete A

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And another thing that blew my mind is that Rachel Delhollander was a rec gymnast who basically brought down USAG by her persistence in telling her story. I'm sure the powers that be (read: Steve Penny et al) thought they'd stonewall her and she'd eventually go away ...
It's frustrating knowing this, and then seeing the US Education department trying to change Title IX rules to make it even harder for cases of assault to be heard or resolved.

I just finished watching. I had tuned in to a lot of the trial, but still, I cried through the entire second half of this. Out of anger. Out of devastation for these women, for these parents, who trusted and believed they were doing right by their dreams and their kids. Shame on USAG. Shame on Michigan State. And thank God for the reporters and the athletes who came forward. I'm just in such awe of the bravery of the survivors.

And another thing that blew my mind is that Rachel Delhollander was a rec gymnast who basically brought down USAG by her persistence in telling her story. I'm sure the powers that be (read: Steve Penny et al) thought they'd stonewall her and she'd eventually go away ...

i thought she was absolutely key.

thinking about the general environment that enabled the sexual abuse, that’s specifically experienced by elite and competitive gymnasts. Who if they raise a complaint, had a lot to lose. And are more easily dismissed with the “not strong enough” “bitter she didn’t make the team” narrative.

Rachel Denhollander had no career to lose, no axe to grind. The fact she was a rec gymnast meant she was harder to silence- no holding the olympics over her head.

If you check twitter many UK gymnasts are now also hinting at the abusive culture here. Although nobody has said anything directly- nearest is Rhyannon Jones regarding Catherine Lyons.

My dd watched it and her comments were at least (her sport) isn’t that bad. Which I was disappointed with. I hoped she’d see that it was the culture that enabled- she’s seen coaches call kids fat, tell them they’re s*** on the competition floor. “It’s not that bad” isn’t good enough, it shouldn’t happen full stop.

"Its not that bad" is a hard mentality to get out from under....I have been guilty of that at times as well...things that have happened to me that were maybe inappropriate but paled in comparison to what others have gone through. Now that I have daughters though I agree not that bad is not good enough. Perspective can be hard for kids to have at times.

It is absolutely amazing to see how this documentary has been a catalyst for British gymnasts to speak out, and that things have escalated to the point where BG has announced an enquiry. I hope this happens all over the world until toxic coaching is exposed and considered unacceptable everywhere.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back