Coaches athletes foot and mat cleaning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
Ok, so one of the parents kids accused us of giving their kids athletes foot. Now, I clean the mats religiously with bleach and soap, but I wonder, what can I do more, with like 100 kids all running barefoot. Can I realisticly make it a germ free enviorment or is there a cleaner that can kill this more. FYI, I don't know if we gave the 7yr old foot fungus, but the sport is barefoot, so how to handle this?

Gyms are full of germs and there is little you can do about it. Athletes foot, staph, flu and cold germs...it's all part of being in close quarters in a gym. Im not sure how many gyms EVER wipe down their mats/equipment (maybe more than I suspect). I know our gym smells like bleach a few times a week but not sure what is being cleaned by the after hours crew...
Fact is, hospitals are cleaned constantly and they are one of the greatest sources of illness. The best your gymnasts can do is shower after gym and keep their hands out of their mouths...then you pray for strong immune systems:) Athletes foot is not your fault!

You can use athletes foot medication prophylactically. That's really all I can suggest. Even if you wipe everything down everyday its still gonna be there as soon as someone with it walks in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Ok, so one of the parents kids accused us of giving their kids athletes foot. Now, I clean the mats religiously with bleach and soap, but I wonder, what can I do more, with like 100 kids all running barefoot. Can I realisticly make it a germ free enviorment or is there a cleaner that can kill this more. FYI, I don't know if we gave the 7yr old foot fungus, but the sport is barefoot, so how to handle this?

balderdash!

balderdash!
==

We had a kid come down with Staph on her hand, of course everyone was freaking out, thinking all the kids were going to get it, because we swing with rips. Nope, just one and who know where she got it from, could of been here, but could of been anywhere. So we cleaned the bars off all handles etc... Made everyone feel better. :)

Well we had a Mom go around telling all the other parents that her family kept getting head lice from our gym because we don't clean the mats good enough :rolleyes:

We scrub the mats once a month and clean the gym regularly once a week. We constantly have parents who send their kids to gym even if they are sick. We've had kids with mono and once a kid with pink eye!!! So we definitely make sure the gym is cleaned :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back