WAG Attire deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This p#sses me off to no end.

I refused to take my kids leo. It was clearly the wrong size. It was a size smaller then labeled. First they tried well it’s a competition leo, they run smaller...... I told them BS, then why don’t you have 2 different size charts. Then they said they tried it on another kid and it fit fine. Like that should of settled the matter. Finally they agreed to send a new one, a size up from what I ordered, which was a tight fit last year and even tighter this year. If I kept the first one I would of had to order a new one this year, like over a half dozen kids did this year. Quite the racket for GK. 30 % increase in orders, because the make them smaller then expected and because they are special order people just s&ck it up.

Coach was beyond cranky with me. But I paid well over 200 bucks, I’m not taking something that is not what I ordered.
I talked to the coach about it but she didn't care because it was the same size as some other CMs & they want them tight. We got new leos every year so there was no issue about wanting it to fit for more than one season. And it was 99.5% white!
DD is no longer at that gym for other reasons but we are much happier with the new gym's leos. New gym keeps leos for 2-3 seasons and they are not gk.

I understand that some colors will bleed a little and they can’t be held responsible if a leo isn’t washed correctly and it bleeds, but as a legitimate leo company, would you not anticipate that girls will sweat as a natural part of the sport and do something to make sure your materials won’t bleed due to sweating? Especially as expensive as these leos are? With all of the problems everyone seems to be having with GK, I’m a little surprised that they haven’t lost a ton of business, at least when it comes to comp leos. Maybe they have. The ozone’s are really pretty. Are they comparable in price to GK?

That's what surprises me too. My daughter has a new GK competition leotard this year with blue body and white sleeves. I noticed after her first meet, before I even washed it, that the blue was bleeding under the arms. It's definitely from the sweat. She's not alone, I think over half of the 10 girls on her team have the same problem. Seems like they could have done something to set the dye before delivering them. It's very frustrating when you spend that much money to have it look bad after one wear and no washing. I will say that the sizing wasn't a problem for the team this year. She just moved to AXS in normal GK leos and she ordered a CL in the competition leo. It fits perfectly.

It's disappointing to hear about the issues with GK. We have had Ozone the last 2 seasons and our gym owner has said she will not go with them again. What are other designer options besides those two?

Of course, my dd’s GK comp Leo this year is too big! She was sized at the gym and they sized her as a CL. All of her practice leos are CM. But since comp leos run small, she was sized, and the gym keeps the comp leos for 2 years, so I figured that CL was the right size. Nope - way too big. I had to take it in at the crotch for it to not be indecent on her. I guess to big is better than too small for that reason, but still.

Our gym requires parents to attend leo fittings and sign off on the size. One "new leo" year, the company sent samples of the actual competition leo for sizing. The most recent time, the sizing samples were made of a fabric similar to the actual competition leo. My daughter always hates the comp leos for various reasons, but at least they fit.

It's disappointing to hear about the issues with GK. We have had Ozone the last 2 seasons and our gym owner has said she will not go with them again. What are other designer options besides those two?

Destira. Snowflake. Sometimes the smaller designers do much better work.

We are very content with moreau, they are more european-based though

My daughter's comp GK leo that the blue has run into the white sleeves n the armpits and also smells like onions after washing is size AS, she normally wears a CL and only a size 10 in children's clothes. Luckily there were samples of the exact leo in an AS or I never would have thought to get that size.

I have been workign with the gym and complaining about our current leo and will be taking DD's leo to the GK rep to show them the pilling in question after she competes tomorrow. I bet they will say its normal wear and tare so I am thinking about bringing her comp leo from last year (dreamlight) and saying this was worn for two years and looks brand new. They just sort of deflect whenever these issues come up they ultimately resolve them but overall unimpressed with the customer service. I feel like I am being a pain with the gym but they have been pretty cool about it I let them know my issues are with GK not the gym.

Alpha Factor is what we switched to when we left GK.
I also like Snowflake because any color combo you want isn't an extra charge ... and if it shows it with bling, then the bling isn't an extra cost.
Plus they will have different versions of some leotards with different amounts of bling and their website and catalog tell the different prices.
I was able to get a sample leotard made based on one of their sleeveless leotards (Starlight), added 3/4 sleeves with a sequin design on each sleeve and another on the opposite side of the "big" star because the area looked plain.
I am attaching the original design and the finished product. I thought it looked awesome and so did the coach. It came in second in the team vote, behind the winner by 6 votes ... out of 50 girls with 3 options in the running, that isn't bad.

Attachments

• Starlight add star.jpg
    Starlight add star.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Starlight 3:4 Sleeve Sample.jpg
    Starlight 3:4 Sleeve Sample.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 91
The companies make the comp leos smaller because many gyms want a “sleek fit” for competition and a “comfortable fit” for training.

Reactions: sce
The companies make the comp leos smaller because many gyms want a “sleek fit” for competition and a “comfortable fit” for training.
But the companies already has their sizing chart made to accommodate that with practice and competition fit. You don't expect to get the Leo and have it barely fit after you have used the sizing chart that they provided AND sized up in order to have it fit a 2nd year. Thankfully we have not had many sizing issues with dd's Leos because she never grew much each year but I really felt bad for all the parents whose children grow 4+in in a year

But the companies already has their sizing chart made to accommodate that with practice and competition fit. You don't expect to get the Leo and have it barely fit after you have used the sizing chart that they provided AND sized up in order to have it fit a 2nd year. Thankfully we have not had many sizing issues with dd's Leos because she never grew much each year but I really felt bad for all the parents whose children grow 4+in in a year
Exactly.

It’s a racket.

I love that clubs here (Australia) tend to change their competition leotards very infrequently. When they cost what they cost, I want to get at least two seasons out of one and I do not think I am alone. My daughter’s team had to wear her gym’s ‘senior’ competition leotard for the first time last year. Some were lucky enough to buy second hand, but every remaining girl bought the biggest leotard they could realistically get away with.

I would quite like it if she gets one season of wearing it big, one of having it fit perfectly, and one of having it fit tightly before I have to find another $200+ for a new one. I am glad the gym does not insist on having a say in the fit.

Ours is a Sylvia P - the brand that started this thread. It is fully lined and has a very traditional back. It features light and dark colours and does not run. Thank goodness, as the rule in this house is if it doesn’t survive the washing machine, it just was not meant to be.

Destira. Snowflake. Sometimes the smaller designers do much better work.
My old gym used Garland and had a great experience. Very easy to work with when it comes to custom designs/recommendations. When we did have issues (wrong size ordered, gymnast grew significantly between ordering the leo and first meet and needed a new size FAST, some minor sewing issues) the company was quick to correct. I designed some pre-team leos through them that the kids wore forever and then passed down, they were still going strong with a new generation of kids after about 4 years. Though I think maybe they were undergoing some changes at some point last season and we ran into a few more minor snags, but nothing like I've heard from people using some of the bigger brands.
I am currently at a gym that uses a big name brand and favors a sleek fit and some of the leos that arrived for the kids were laughable. I have other kids that have grown 3-4 inches since last season and are wearing the same leo as last year. It's uncomfortable for the kids and to watch. I'm all for a properly fit leotard that isn't baggy, but usually going up 1 size isn't going to result in a baggy look. Maybe a few insignificant wrinkles, but also a more comfortable and confident kid.

My old gym used Garland and had a great experience. Very easy to work with when it comes to custom designs/recommendations. When we did have issues (wrong size ordered, gymnast grew significantly between ordering the leo and first meet and needed a new size FAST, some minor sewing issues) the company was quick to correct. I designed some pre-team leos through them that the kids wore forever and then passed down, they were still going strong with a new generation of kids after about 4 years. Though I think maybe they were undergoing some changes at some point last season and we ran into a few more minor snags, but nothing like I've heard from people using some of the bigger brands.
I am currently at a gym that uses a big name brand and favors a sleek fit and some of the leos that arrived for the kids were laughable. I have other kids that have grown 3-4 inches since last season and are wearing the same leo as last year. It's uncomfortable for the kids and to watch. I'm all for a properly fit leotard that isn't baggy, but usually going up 1 size isn't going to result in a baggy look. Maybe a few insignificant wrinkles, but also a more comfortable and confident kid.
We had Some real teenie-weenies this year (5 year old) and even the smallest size they offer is pretty baggy on them. Its quite cute though, they dont care how their Leo fits yet

Our gym will be getting new leos next year, and I hope they are not getting GK. We had GK, switched to Dreamlight, and now of course we will have to get new ones again. Fingers crossed that they are not going back to GK.

This year the girls got new comp leos this year and the sizing was especially bad from GK. You do expect them to be smaller but not 2+ sizes smaller. Plus the sizing leos they sent for the girls to try were very different than how the comp leos ended up being. Some of the girls leos are way too small and very uncomfortable.

To come back to the attire deduction from a judges point of view: Today the actualized HELP DESK came out, I have no clue where to find it in English. But it is clearly saying, that those leotards with free backs are against the rules. The back needs to be covered by some fabrics.

At our competitions I will clearly deduct this back after warning the gymnast. However, no deductions for Bra straps or underwear. It is not written in the CoP (I know you guys in the US have your own thingy;)) Normally when I already see during warm ups something which might lead to unneccessary deductions, I will talk to the coaches. Most of the time, they are happy about it :)

Attachments

• Attire deduction.PNG
    Attire deduction.PNG
    115.3 KB · Views: 67

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back