Attitudes towards coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey looking for some advice from all- coaches, gymnasts parents whoever

Our club was set up around 5 years ago and our oldest gymnasts are now moving on to be coaches some of them are really good and we are keen to supprort this transition

however some of the younger gymnasts are having some issues with it i think they finding it hard as now having to take direction from someone they used to train with and they giving them a lot of attitude and the new coaches finiding it hard to control the behaviour. its thefore comming across to the parents that they are bad coaches as not in control of situation

any one came across this before any advice on how to deal with this

Claire

Wow firsly let me say that I know that a lot of coaches in the UK, and Scotland, are volunteers and therefore are freely giving their time. I know you had mentioned that you were a volunteer coach. SO that makes your question even more interesting.

Here in Canada, and in my girls club, coaches are paid hourly for their work and for comps they go to.

We too have gymnasts that grew up to be coaches in our club and they have been well accepted both by parents and gymnasts.

I think in your case I would have a parents meeting during which it would be made very clear what the clubs position us, how much work is being done for their kids and for how much money.

As for the gymnasts, poor attitude is not acceptable in the gym, if they are rude they will get warned, if it continues they will be asked to sit out of the class and the parents will be informed, finally if the behaviour continues the child would be asked to leave the club.

The only way to get respect is to make it clear that respect is the only way that the club will work. This includes the parents and gymnasts.

I also know that in the UK coaches are well trained and certified to do their job, this should also be pointed out.

Good luck with this, but it is an issue of basic manners and respect.

I am sure lots of our other coaches will chime in, they are great and have a wealth of experience. We also have quite afe other UK coaches on the CB who can help too.

With that set up, you're describing a pretty common problem. You will either see those coaches drop away, or they will set a stricter tone. When the gymnasts see they are learning by listening, and the coaches see they need to be a little more adult, things will balance out. Usually, it takes about 2 years to begin to go one way or the other.

Best wishes,

Ryan

IMHO, how can anyone even think about having an attitude towards coaches or teachers? As a parent, I find that kind of behavior irritating and unacceptable. If you can't get along nor put up with a coach, talk to your parents about it. Your parents can take that up with the gym or the coach. If no compromise can be made then either suck it up or leave.

I think Bog covered it all. I would suggest a sit down with parents AND gymnasts together to discuss the situation. Then there are no misunderstandings or miscommunication.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back