Award Scheme Coaching Core Proficiency

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym_dad77

Proud Parent
Hi.
My daughter is 13 and as well as doing gymnastics, she is also a trainee coach.
She wants to do the Award Scheme Coaching Core Proficiency once she turns 14.
Does anyone know what this course consists of?
My daughter although really wanting to do it, is also apprehensive due to slight learning difficulties.
Is this a course that can actually be failed?
Or is it more along the lines of the ‘intro to coaching’ course?
Greatly appreciate any help or advice.

I’m not from the UK (I live in the United States) but from what I’ve read, it outlines the strength and physical attributes needed to achieve skills. Basically a “how to teach skills” course? It says that the course goes over how to train gymnasts based on their skill level, structure classes, and make them fun.

Here’s the article: https://www.british-gymnastics.org/courses/6227/award-scheme-coaching-core-proficiency

It’s short, but there is a bit more if you scroll down to the bottom. Hope this helps!

Even if she would not pass the exam (not sure there is), it would still be a great learning opportunity.

I did a coaching course that sounds similar when I was 14, and I learned so much that was just so much second nature to my mentor coaches that they never taught me (example: have all kids in your line of sight at all time). It didn't only go over skills, but also class management and a little bit of first aid. I found it really helpful. And for us (minimum age was 14, but the oldest in our group was around 45) most people passed. Only those missing classes and not being enthusiastic/really missing the basics failed. I would recommend every coach take some kind of course as possible.

Of course the experiences your DD might have could be very different

It's a one day course with no actual exam, she will be given a certificate of attendance, I'm sure your daughter will be fine. The gymnastics skills used are very basic, the emphasis is on making coaching fun and using different learning styles. She'll probably really enjoy it, good luck to her on her coaching journey.

It's a one day course with no actual exam, she will be given a certificate of attendance, I'm sure your daughter will be fine. The gymnastics skills used are very basic, the emphasis is on making coaching fun and using different learning styles. She'll probably really enjoy it, good luck to her on her coaching journey.

That’s great, thank you

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back