Azarian on rings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Hey, does anybody have any tips/drills for training an Azarian on rings?

I'm asking this one for myself, not my kids; I want to compete rings next year, and I'd like to start my routine with an Azarian. What would be the safest and most effective way to train this skill?

EDIT: video
[youtube]xp6RtiINBs4[/youtube]

Last edited:
Hi

First of what does help is to have a few key pre-requisites
1- Good cross
2- Front lever pulls
3- Back lever
4- Maltese (not 100% needed but would realllllly help)

Learning the azarian is really a combination of strength skill transitions so the really important points to strengthen is the transitional phases. Here are a few strengthening drills that will greatly help

Doing maltese lower to cross between 2 spotting blocks is a good way to start. This will allow you to adjust the degree of difficulty you want to add to the exercise. The wider and the less of your arm on the boxes the harder the drill gets.This will allows for good progressive overload, and eventually transition to the rings.

Back lever with assistance press to cross (with assistance)

Front lever press to maltese (with assistance)

On low rings roll to an azarian. Here is a link CLICK HERE . The benefit of this drill is that you can do the transitions much faster. This greatly assists in reducing the effort needed in controlling the position. As you can see he bends his arms in the first roll which is not ideal, as a result his shoulders don't rise from the front lever into the roll backwards compared to Tampakos who rolls from the front lever almost to a maltese before going into cross.

Hope that helps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back