WAG Baby giant in level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mkwh

Proud Parent
Hey, DD has her first level 6 meet this weekend! (eek!!) We cant watch practice but I noticed the last few minutes last week and saw that she was doing a baby giant and most were not. I asked her and she said that 7 of our 9 level 6's were doing just kip cast dismount off high but 2 of them are doing baby giants. I asked her why and she said it helps with her dismount ( she does a pike fly away). Just as some background she didn't fully have it w/o spot this summer when she broke her wrist ( on beam not bars, LOL) so that set her back 2 months. Her grip strength is still a little weak but she almost has the dismount ( its farther along that it was this summer). Coach told her last night she thought she would have it this weekend.
So I don't in any way question this, I just want to understand the "mechanics" of how doing a baby giant helps the dismount.
Thanks!

At dd's gym, the L6's are expected to cast to handstand (or as close as possible) and then do a layout flyaway out of the handstand. They did a tuck or pike flyaway if they didn't hit handstand. So, I wonder if "mechanically" it's easier for your dd to do her flyaway from the lower altitude. This way the coach can continue to have her push for a full handstand out of her kip/cast, without the added scary factor of doing a LO flyaway. Just a guess. I'm curious to see other responses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back