back doesnt bend?? confused..frustrated..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys
SO
yesterday my coach decided that it would be a good idea to help me get over my fear of handstand forward rolls:eek: (i was always scared i would snap my neck or something =P)
but he noticed that when i would roll, i wouldnt hollow out...like my back wouldnt curve in...
SO
he told me to do forward rolls on the floor, and realized that was exactly the problem... even after i rolled slowly, stood up and bent over, rolled up into a ball and rolled back and forth, etc, my lower back just didnt curve...at all :(

I feel like this is an after effect of dancing, where flat back is all I would hear...i used to walk around the house thinking "flat back flat back flat back", and now i have great, straight back posture...its just NOT good for gymnastics =(

any drills? ideas? stretches? or am i stuck with a straight back??
:confused:

Gymnastics Revolution - Gymnastics Interactive - 203-798-8651

Gymnastics Revolution - Gymnastics Interactive - 203-798-8651

Look at the two links above, can you do both and roll from one to the other?

If so then I am not sure what else you could do. If not then you can work on both positions as they are so important in gymnastics. You can also work on candlestick holds as they also use a hollow position.

Making sure when in hollow you are pushing you back against the floor, you also should have good core/ab strength for this and all gym in fact.

I can do both (although mine arent as high as hers), and roll back and forth =/
My candle stick isnt very good
thanks though, ill work on it
:)

It's more than likely a muscle memory thing.

If it's a flexibility thing, do foam rolling on your thorasic spine and cat/cow from yoga.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back