WAG Back Extension Rolls on Beam. Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Because of back problems, my coaches and I decided that instead of doing a BWO on beam for lv. 5 that I should do a back extension roll. I need to learn it quickly - I'm in the middle of my season. Anybody have any tips or tricks? I'm having trouble getting my hands on the beam and not rolling to the side. Because of my back injury and my time crunch, I really wanna work smarter, so if anybody has any information whatsoever, pleeaaseee helppp!!! Thanks :p

Sorry, the video isn't working, could you maybe like describe what's happening fo me :p

Here is the youtube link.
It is hard for me to describe.
If it doesn't work this time, search You Tube for "Back Extension Roll on Balance Beam" and was posted by Nicole Cooper.
The girl is wearing a dark brown leotard and blue shorts.

One of the problems that leads to hands slipping off to the side is that it's hard to roll straight over the top of your head on beam. So your head will naturally tilt to one side or the other and lead you to have trouble going straight over the top. Make sure you are truly in a round ball as you roll with your head tucked as much as possible. Another thing is that this skill is one of those things that just doesn't work slowly. If you roll too slowly, you will definitely go off to one side or the other. It's hard to be aggressive about a new skill, so I'd suggest putting a 4-inch mat over the beam while you're working on it so that you can be aggressive. You can move down to a sting mat and then a small pad as you get more confident. If a coach is available a spot can also help.

Another thing to help with building up to a full back extension is that you can try just doing a straight backward roll in a tucked position, landing in a squat. That might help with hand placement/staying straight since you wouldn't have to worry about the back extension part.

Also - it sucks to feel like you have to learn a skill quickly, especially when an injury is involved! Sometimes certain skills just don't come as fast as we'd like them to. I hope you can get this skill down and compete it, but try not to feel too much pressure. If you have to leave it out of a routine or scratch beam at a meet, it's no big deal. You can do your best beam routine at the next meet.

One of the problems that leads to hands slipping off to the side is that it's hard to roll straight over the top of your head on beam. So your head will naturally tilt to one side or the other and lead you to have trouble going straight over the top. Make sure you are truly in a round ball as you roll with your head tucked as much as possible. Another thing is that this skill is one of those things that just doesn't work slowly. If you roll too slowly, you will definitely go off to one side or the other. It's hard to be aggressive about a new skill, so I'd suggest putting a 4-inch mat over the beam while you're working on it so that you can be aggressive. You can move down to a sting mat and then a small pad as you get more confident. If a coach is available a spot can also help.

Another thing to help with building up to a full back extension is that you can try just doing a straight backward roll in a tucked position, landing in a squat. That might help with hand placement/staying straight since you wouldn't have to worry about the back extension part.

Also - it sucks to feel like you have to learn a skill quickly, especially when an injury is involved! Sometimes certain skills just don't come as fast as we'd like them to. I hope you can get this skill down and compete it, but try not to feel too much pressure. If you have to leave it out of a routine or scratch beam at a meet, it's no big deal. You can do your best beam routine at the next meet.
Curious, does the bun on head present a problem with this skill?

I'd imagine so. A bun can be a problem with even the back extension roll on the floor. It probably depends a bit on the amount of hair and the placement of the bun.
Oooh... Need to design a hairstyle that has a 4 inch vertical gap with hair buildup on the sides. Then the hair could help keep the back extension roll straight, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back