Back extension rolls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The only skill i can't do in the compulsory floor routines is the back extension rolls. I either end up in an extremely arched handstand and then fall back into a bridge, or a end up flat one the ground with my hands under my hips, laying on my stomach. It always hurts my shoulders, too. Is there something I'm doing wrong? How can i fix this? I can do a backward roll to handstand if i bend my arms, but not if i try to keep my arms straight.

Your arms should be turned so that your hands are turned in (fingers facing each other) and when you roll back into it you want to have your arms straight and behind your ears. Be sure to keeep your chin on your chest and your shoulders open. Closing your shoulders/sticking your head out will cause your shoulder angle to close--which makes it miss handstand.

As far as arching, try to pull your toes over first, in a hollow shape. Also, be sure to squeeze your butt and stomach.

Hopefully that helped!

A back extension roll is a wierd skill, simply because it is part of one of those rare progressions which starts on one event and finishes on another; that is, a back extension roll is a step in the progression towards a clearhip to handstand.

As hammy said, you have to have your hands turned in for it to work. Pull your feet over your head as you roll, and extend not directly upward, but at an angle towards something on the ceiling behind you. Because extending causes your feet to slow down and pull back a bit, if you aim to shoot out about 30 degrees below handstand, you end up shooting straight to handstand. If you aim for a handstand, you tend to arch.

Thanks!
I can do it into push up position now! I don't have gymnastics from Dec. 15 until Jan. 5th or 7th or something. I want to be able to do it by then into a handstand. I don't know if i can, but I'll practice everyday. LOL

Geoffrey, I like the idea of towards 30 degrees. I've never taught or even thought of it that way. For clear hip, yes; but not really in degree portions for back extension.

Another small note of back extensions is working on the ability to open up the shoulder quickly. Theraband drills or light weighted sticks or an appropriate barbell is good for this. We have a bunch of weighted metal ( iron or aluminum ) cylinders for this.

Good point about opening the shoulders quickly! I didn't really think about that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back