Back from watching the Classics!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It had been planned for awhile that my mom and I were taking my daughter to Chicago for her birthday. About a month ago, we decided to add tickets to the Classics to our weekend. It was our very first "real" meet. My DD is a L3 preteamer, and before this we had only watched one L4 meet at our own gym last year (so DD knew what she was getting herself into). All in all, it was a great trip!

For reasons unbeknownst to me, my 7 year old is quite the little Shawn Johnson fan! Not that I mind, I think she's adorable, too. But it's neat to see my DD with her first little celebrity obsession. lol.

DD thought the Jr session was "ok" but got into it more after the second rotation. She picked a girl to root for and luckily (for me, haha), the girl won! We stayed all the way through awards as DD loves watching medal ceremonies. Of course, we also purchased the requisite new leo and bar shorts, and a commemorative T-shirt. ;) DD was in heaven.

DD was even more excited for the Sr session. SJ was stretching, etc, very close to our seats during warm-ups, so DD got to watch her quite a bit, adding to her love for Shawn. DD was a little disappointed that SJ didn't compete all 4 events, but all was forgiven in the end. :) DD was excited to see her compete at her first meet back, no matter how well she did. In the end, we rooted for Memmel to win as she competed all 4 events (being our hometown gal and all - despite being at a competing gym from DD's, haha). We were excited to see her place 2nd. I think my little girl ran on adrenaline all evening! I was surprised how much quicker the second session went, but with fewer gymnasts and so many NOT competing AA, it made sense.

So, perhaps the most exciting thing of the whole weekend? We realized we were staying at "the" hotel! At Saturday's late lunch (between Jr and Sr sessions), Marta Karyoli was eating at the table next to us! We did gawk (just a little) but let her have her privacy, though another little girl asked for a picture while she was eating! DD thought that was rude. ;) And the biggest weekend bonus? Seeing SJ twice in our hotel lobby! Once before the Sr meet and again after she must have checked out. She stayed at our hotel, too! DD was beyond excited to have "lived in the same building" as SJ for one night. Again, we kept our distance and excitement to ourselves, and didn't interrupt her, but DD was still super-stoked. DD said the only thing that could have topped it is if she either A) got to stay in Shawn's room with her (lol), or B) SJ would have smiled at her and said "hi". But, that is certainly not a complaint at all!

We had considered heading to the Championships next month, but I am not sure we can top the overall experience right now, so we're thinking we'll maybe try the Championships next year in St. Louis. I am just overjoyed with my DD's excitement, and it has completely rubbed off on me, too.

Thanks for letting me share our experience! I thought if anyone understood, it would be you all here!
-Mamaoftwo

(**My only little tiny complaint is the insane amt of dust in the rafters at the UIC! Holy cow! We purchased upper level seats thinking we could see better (and we could), but I am sick from it as I have a huge dust allergy. It was disgusting! BUT- we got upgraded to the mezzanine level for the Sr session (didn't complain, it was just offered). The seats weren't quite as good, but I was further from the dust!)

What a wonderful report---sounds like your dd had a birthday to remember!!! So nice of you not to interupt Marta's lunch or SJ although I doubt SJ would have minded you saying hi as she was leaving.

Sounds like your DD had a lot of fun! We took DD as well and she also had a blast! During the senior session, DD and fellow teammates decided they would sit right behind SJ's family. They figured she would eventually venture their way...it didn't really work out that way, but they still had fun! DD was even given a card from SJ's manager...I couldn't believe that either, a manager...She was very sweet to them. I have to say watching SJ was the highlight of my night too! She is such a fantastic gymnast! Her smile is so electrofying as well. She seems like such a nice kid all around!:D

Thanks GLM! She said it was the best B-Day gift ever. ;) When inside, SJ was speaking to someone else so we didn't want to interrupt. Once outside the hotel, the valet brought our car before SJ got close enough, otherwise I am sure DD would have tried to said "hi", but she's so tiny and quiet that I am not sure SJ would have heard her, anyway. But yes, we didn't want to interrupt them or cause a scene or something!

LJ7, that's awesome! We never would have thought to look for her family. :) It was neat to see her for me as well, but to see DD's reaction was absolutely priceless. In case of any last-minute change of plans, I didn't even tell her she'd be there - I didn't want DD to be heartbroken if she decided not to compete. But, I agree that she seems like SJ is genuinely sweet. Her smile is contagious. I can only hope she make London in 2012, DD would be over the moon!

Wow how much fun! You couldn't have planned it better if you tried lol. Good for you not interrupting Marta's breakfast :). Thanks for sharing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back