Back fulls??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

moddo994

Im not sure how to do this, every time I do one it turns out in a side spin thing. I tried to wait longer before spinning, but I just fall on my head.

It sounds to me like you probably need a bit more work on your layout before you twist it.

If you have a strong layout, the worst that is likely to happen when you twist it is that you might come up short, and perhaps twist an ankle. A head landing isn't a problem with your twist, it's a problem with your flip.

Beyond that, I'd have to see it to say.

I agree, you need a strong layout. Have a coach spot you (they'll pick you up and turn you). You'll eventually get it. and tip--look for the floor as you twist, after getting lost a few times you should have it.

Yeah, it sounds like you are just twisting right off the floor. One of the girls that I coach tends to do that all of the time. If you have a pit, try doing really late twists. That should help!

once u get a strong layout u should try to twist and stay tight and pull one are down to ur hip and the other across ur chest it works try it:)

Yeah, it sounds like you are just twisting right off the floor. One of the girls that I coach tends to do that all of the time. If you have a pit, try doing really late twists. That should help!

I tend to think of it not so much as an issue of timing, but of direction. Afterall, watch any elite gymnast doing a twisting skill in slow-mo, and you'll almost always find that their shoulders and chest have noticably started twisting before their feet leave the floor.

The key is that the twist has to be initiated over the top, not around the side. A common mistake that looks like "twisting early" is pulling the head and shoulders down and forward to initiate the twist, when in fact the chest needs to rise into it.

I think you should try to set more or maybe do some more twisting drills. You may need to spin a little faster. I have that trouble. I never get high enough but when i do i always make the full twist.

My coach always said its not just a twist- its a layout too. A nice clean, high layout and THEN a twist.
She said to pick a spot on the wall and when you see that spot twist. It helps doing it into a pit first because it is really wierd feeling and a bit uncomfortable but it totally works!!

there is no such thing as an early twist! I've had quite a few coaches come up to me in the past and ask how to fix an early twist and my response is...there is no such thing! What you're having is a shape problem and lack of tightness when twisting early has a negative result on the skill being attempted

Get a strong flip first, then worry about the twist. Stay tight and strong as you flip and twist.

there is no such thing as an early twist! I've had quite a few coaches come up to me in the past and ask how to fix an early twist and my response is...there is no such thing! What you're having is a shape problem and lack of tightness when twisting early has a negative result on the skill being attempted

Agreed -- sort of.

I've seen some kids who literally twist before their feet hit the ground on the backhandspring. So their "layout full" is actually a backhandspring with a quarter twist followed by a side layout with a three-quarter twist. Which definitely means they're twisting too early.

Nevertheless, I understand and agree with what you're saying; it's ok and in fact correct to initiate the twist while the feet are still on the floor; it hast has to be done properly.

it sounds like your whipping your layout. You need to work setting your layout up onto a mat. When you get good at that, try twisting on a trampoline. Then go to floor once their good and you feel ready

back fulls

I always get scared I'm going to hurt myslef when i twist....its just hard for me. And when Im doing my layout it feels like im bending my legs and I dont know how to get myself to keep them straight :confused:

I can't/am not allowed to do fulls on the Tumble Trak because I go so far to the side because of twisting early (I am told, I thought that I was twisting later) I almost, and have once or twice, landed off the mat. However, when I do them on the floor, they are perfectly fine and straight. I don't really understand why, does anyone else know how this could happen. Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Last edited:
I have a really strong layout but as soon as I start twisting I get all loose and everything gets messed up and one of my arms just gets left behind me and the twist just dosent work. One time I was told to hold onto my cell phone like in my mind and my arms stayed where there should have but I only did that once and can't seem to do it again. How do you twist like what are the steps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back