Parents Back handspring fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym_ Dad_72

Proud Parent
My daughter just started on level 2 team. She hasn't competed yet but she has done very well in her traning. With very little coaching, she started doing back handsprings. I was imprssesed and did not really expect her to do these this year. Then all of a sudden she stopped doing them and now refuses to even try. Says she cant do them any more. She is scared. I don't know how she all of a sudden got scared of doing something she has done maybe 50 times or more. She also indicated she doesn't like the other girls on higher levels critiquing her form. All her confidence just went out the window. I was upset at first that she won't even try. Now i am just confused. This is not a requirement at her level and won't use in competitions. Is this something that happens often? Will she get over this?Should i worry that she may not have the courage to excel at this sport? She is 8 years old.

She'll get it. The less you talk about it, the better. Don't watch her at practice, don't ask her if she was able to do it today, etc. Leave it to the coaches to work with her. The good news is, she's got time. :)

I get how frustrating it is when your gymmie "loses" a skill. BTDT. Hang in there!

I have found that skills come and go all the time. Seems like each month one of my DD's comes back from gym with a "i lost my..." I used to be concerned but now just kind of wait it out. We even made jokes about the kip since it came and went for over a year. "Where is your kip now, New York when it was really gone, Ca when it was closer, and Tucson when it was on it's way home, we are in Phx :)" Try not to make a big deal about it. She will get it back when she is ready :)

Very normal & very common. And not just with kids in the beginning levels. Plenty of girls in optional levels have lost their series, giants, front tumbling, back tumbling - you name it. It's more the norm than the exception. Everyone thinks this sport is so physically demanding but it's equally - if not more - mentally demanding. This too shall pass.

My DD just moved from preteam (level 2ish) to team (with the plan to compete level 3). She kind of "got" an ok, but a little sloppy back handspring in preteam. Like you DD was a little upset about all the corrections, and then lost it... They did a bunch of drills and basics when she moved to team and when she got it back it was immediately WAY, WAY better than her old one. So looking back... losing it might have been the best thing for her in order to get the form right.

Luckily I listened to everyone on here and didn't worry about it talk much about it.

So so common. And as a parent your job is to love and support unconditionally and not talk about it.

Time works magic - things come and go (and come back again and go) and then do come back again in their own sweet time.

My daughter just finished her first yr of level eight. I swear she is the most frustrating gymnast ever. It took her two years to get a back handspring on beam, two years to get her giants, and I'm still not 100% sure she has it. She pulls it out of her pocket when she needs it most.

And her story is what I always think will give people hope - she takes forever to get skills because she is a fearful gymnast, and thinks about things too much. Then she can promptly lose them whenever a dime drops.

She lacked so many things at the start of her level 8 year, but did finish up with a fantastic season. She killed it at states and at regionals, and then promptly came back to her home gym and lost every single skill. She even lost a running back handspring on floor. It was ridiculous.
She spent all summer working to get her skills back, and she did, and even made a little forward progress past that. (I was nervous, my mouth shut. Just like a good mom.)

But what I have learned is this:
Fear, losing skills and blocks are normal natural and to be expected.
Just let them be. Let the coaches handle it as long as the coaches aren't being abusive or giving the girls a hard time
Time is super Duper powerful. Forget about it, don't think about it (as a parent it's the hardest thing to do) but just let it go
As long as your kid is happy, that is really all that matters. My kid has had the most frustrating career, but she loves it. Even through the toughest times she still wants to go to the gym. That's when I know all is OK.

Good luck! And as @dunno says, it will always just work itself out.

The less you talk about it, the better.
This might be the best advice I've ever learned on CB. If Puma Jr brings up something she is frustrated with, I let her talk for a minute, acknowledge it ("Don't worry, you had it once, you'll get it again. This happens to everyone." sort of thing), then change the subject. And don't bring it up again. This is so, so hard! I totally fake that it doesn't stress me out, and honestly I must have tricked myself a little too because I actually have felt more relaxed about it as the years go by if that makes sense? But I get it...it sucks. But everyone is right-time does work magic, and she really will get it back. Good luck! Vent away here, but less is more I swear! :)

Totally agree with the above, my dd did her bhs one summer and then it took nearly a year to get it back but I think that it wasn't helped by myself being so involved about it! I thing my worry about her losing it made it into an even bigger fear for my daughter and it took such a long time to get it, looking back I agree with other parents - don't make too much of it or or it will become an even bigger deal! You could take her to a trampoline park and just let her mess around - she may try it there are it is alot easier on the trampoline - this is what helped my dd in the end, once she started doing them on trampolines well again she found some confidence back. Don't worry! Your dd is still very young and as long as her coach is supportive she will see get it back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back