WAG Back handspring on beam hand placement help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastics mom

Proud Parent
Need some help getting hands on the beam for back handspring!
Can EASILY do back handspring on the floor AND back walkover on beam. When going to do the back handspring on the beam the hands consistently go to the side/do not land on the beam.....help!!!

Interestingly we just recently had our parent meeting.

And this is my 7th year. The first thing our coaches say is it’s your job as parents to support them. It’s our job to coach them. Let gymnastics be their sport and don’t add stress and pressure.

Tell her not to worry. It will come.

If you truly can’t help saying more then say.. listen to your coaches.

She’s likely opening up her hips and not squared to the beam. It is almost impossible to offer advice sight unseen. The coaches should be able to correct it.

I have the very same problem. The issue has been identified by my coach but too late and now I can't get rid of this bad habit because I have done so many bad reps that it has become muscle memory at this point. It is very frustrating as you can imagine.
So, in addition to not coaching her, I would advise you to not let her do any BHS at home / on a backyard trampoline, even if they look good to you, because once a bad habit is learned she will have a very hard time unlearning it.
Good luck to your gymnast anyway !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back