WAG Back Handspring On Beam Mental Block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

EmoryT

Gymnast
So I competed my back handspring on beam all season last year. I had the prettiest back handspring on my team, and I even liked doing them. But one day, I suddenly got a mental block. I didn’t think it was a big deal, but now I have had the mental block for 10 months. I can’t even do it on the low beam without a spot. It drives me nuts and this mental block is holding me back from getting higher scores (I have a 9.5 sv) and progressing. It is even making me lose my passion for gymnastics. I really want to get over this so that I can get my love for beam back (it used to be my fav event but now I hate it :( ). Thanks!

What does your coach say?

Patience is often the only thing that helps with mental blocks. You could also look into a mental coach

You shouldn’t have a lowered start value over this. There is NO level in the US where you’re required to do that specific skill for your SV. That aside, patience is the only cure for blocks. Sometimes it’s better to work around them for awhile and take the pressure off though.

What level are you competing? For example, at Xcel Platinum a back handspring is a common element used to get a 10.0 start value, but there are other options that a lot of gymnasts use to fulfill that special requirement. If you had something else to plug in temporarily, it might take some of the pressure you're feeling off, which is probably making the block worse.

ca
So I competed my back handspring on beam all season last year. I had the prettiest back handspring on my team, and I even liked doing them. But one day, I suddenly got a mental block. I didn’t think it was a big deal, but now I have had the mental block for 10 months. I can’t even do it on the low beam without a spot. It drives me nuts and this mental block is holding me back from getting higher scores (I have a 9.5 sv) and progressing. It is even making me lose my passion for gymnastics. I really want to get over this so that I can get my love for beam back (it used to be my fav event but now I hate it :( ). Thanks!
can you do standing layout step out?

Hi! I had a similar problem with my backsault on beam a while ago and it got worse and worse until I couldn't even do it on a low beam with a mat. It took me a few months be able to do it again but some of the ways I got over my mental block was by just doing repetitions on a floor line to build the muscle memory and confidence up and whenever I stood up on the beam and couldn't go for it I just went and did heaps on the floor. Also visualising a positive outcome helped for me, and focusing on little parts of the skill (for example pointed feet and square shoulders) distract my mind from getting too overwhelmed. I'm still not 100% confident on this skill but it is still a challenge trying to trust myself. Good luck! Hope this helps :)
Also this is a really good article: https://www.flogymnastics.com/articles/5039650-top-10-ways-to-conquer-fears-in-the-gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back