back handsprings on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnaast0110

hey i'm amanda :)
so i had been working on back handsprings on beam for a few months now, but i broke my hand at the end of may, working on drills for bhs on beam. my hand is FINALLY getting better so i've been working on them alot more now. and when i do them, i guess it's kinda weird how i have things, say my teammates who do them too, and certain coaches.
first off. i start with one foot in front of the other. like legit. theres about 2 inches between the beginning of my foot. and the end of the one in front. will that be a problem when i have to start connecting things to it? or is it really not a problem.
secondly, my hands. i have my front hand, left hand, the one i broke earlier; turned completely in. like its going horizontal across the beam, and alot of the times my wrist hangs off the beam, and it puts alot of stress on my wrist, which is very weak cause of when i broke it. and my right hand, is facing forward and grabbing the beam. so my hands pretty much make a "T"
is that a big probblem? one coach says it's fine, and the other says i should change it to the "normal" hand position for them.
and is a biig arm swing before doing it like bad? i hit my coaches a few times cause of it. but i get like no momentum when doing a little arm swing.

sorry for it being so long. haha.

i'm a level 8 and i start with my feet one in front of the other, i can't have my feet touching, bc then i feel like they'll get too sweaty too fast.. i haven't had a problem with my feet for flipflopx2, bc when i come down out of my first one into my second one i don't focus on my feet really. and as for your hands, it might help (for your wrist) to work on getting it straight, or only have it on a slight angle.. just so you dont hurt your wrist more..

The feet issue, as I'm imagining it, doesn't sound like too big of a problem if that is what you are comfortable with and you can do the bhs safely. The hand positioning sounds a little risky to me. But, I could be picturing it as way worse than it is.
The arm swing problem probably will affect your ability to do a bhs-bhs series or connect other skills. If you did a bwo before, taking a big arm swing would break the connection. You also wouldn't be able to swing your arms into a second bhs in a bhs-bhs series. You should really be trying to get the power through your legs and correct body positions rather than through the arm swing.

back handsprings on beam are one of the skills that is really worth learning right the first time. (along with roundoffs and giants). If you've got both your hands turned in, you're probably not square on the beam which is going to make learning things out of it more difficult later on

the hand thing isnt ok. my coach always tells me this because you wont be able to connect out of it.is your problem you cant land it this is probably the reason!i would work on turning that hand out!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back