Back hip circles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi. My daughter just turned six and is on pre-team. She is trying really hard to get her back hip circle but is having a difficult time staying "on the bar". If I help her, she does fine, but when she tries it on her own she has a hard time keeping her body close to the bar and can't complete the circle. I have tried to have her keep a bean bag under her chin to make sure that she is not throwing her head back. Any tips for helping her learn this skill?

She needs a good strong cast with a tight body. If she does not cast correctly she will have no power.

After the cast she needs to come back to the bar and stay tight all the way around the bar. She shouldn't be bending in the middle, and she shouldn't be throwing her head back.

A lot of my littles throw their head back, thinking it will move them backward, but it really just throws them off the bar. Try reminding her to look for her toes as she leans her shoulders back.

Totally agree with coachinkal. COME BACK TO THE BAR! This is step number one and so essential but I see a lot of people miss this, perhaps because with more control and strength a late "drop" in builds momentum. I'm not disagreeing. i would never do a back circle the way I teach it. BUT for little kids first learning, they MUST come back to the bar after casting as they drop their shoulders back. i.e. they need to cast, come back to touch hips, then swing around. I'm not staying come back and halt completely, but come back as they are going backwards. I used to always be "head in! toes that way! shoulders back harder!" but I learned this method from a very experienced instructor and realized how effective it is.

I tell them come back, knees to your nose, shoulders follow. But I would ask her coaches about it and maybe schedule a private if it would stop her moving up, otherwise practice would help it. I wouldn't encourage you to work on it on playground metal bars or anything because they are different bars anyway and she could pick up even more bad habits.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back