Back leg turning out in Split Leaps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
My back leg turns out really bad in split leaps and in switch leaps. I don't know how to fix it! It is hard for me to turn my back knee under in a split, also. My coach has me do splits on the beam, but I still can't fix it when I am in the air. I can't snap my legs into the split, and my back leg turns out. Do you know of any way to fix this?????

try pushing your hip that turns out into the ground while sliding into your split and during the split..staying square in your splits should help..

Stretch your splits by really focusing on keeping your leg turned under and only go down as far as you can go before your leg turns out. So if your split is usually all the way down with your leg turned out, you might be several inches from the floor if you keep it turned under but it will be better for you. Hope this helps!

this is kind of a dumb question-Why does you leg have to be "turned in"? Does it help get hight? Just wondering because as a dancer I am always told to turn out.

I'm not positive, but I think it is a deduction if it is turned out. I think it is just a form thing, I don't think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that it gives you more height.

this is kind of a dumb question-Why does you leg have to be "turned in"? Does it help get hight? Just wondering because as a dancer I am always told to turn out.

I believe the front leg should be turned out. But your back knee should always be pointed towards the ground and not out to the side. I am not the person to ask why, though! But I think it just looks nicer and it is just how you are supposed to do it!

A great deal of reason behind why gymnasts look awkward and rigid when they dance in a gymnastics routine has to do with being taught to be square, even, level, balanced, tight, uniform, tucked in, hollow, etc.

It also has to do with your ability to stay on the beam. Gymnasts are taught to be square to the beam at all times for balance. Turn out means you have to turn back in to become square to the beam for a stable landing. Twisting out and back in again to land is a lot to ask and expect for a landing that does not wobble or teeter.

Turning one shoulder out or one hip out can also mean that your balance in the air drifts to one side. You cannot afford to have your floor exercise routine or beam routine drifting to one side in a pass.

You might need to lower your amplitude for a while until you get used to not turning your hips out. Only split as high as you can handle without turning your hips out. Then as you get better at it, then you can increase your split in the air.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back