Parents Back Pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Scotsgirl

Proud Parent
DD has been having back pain at gym , tonight she had a few tears and her coach said its not like her and has had a few episodes of this , she is going to speak to the head coach and get back to us maybe physio for her. Has anyone had any experience with this , dd is almost 8 and is now doing 14 hours , thanks in advance .

Impossible to say, but doing basic back strength does help. First thing I would cut out is the BWO on beam if she is doing them yet. Have her train BHS.

Thanks coachp , yes she has been stopped from doing bwo on beam for now , she said its when she is doing arch hold etc and standing on one leg and lifting the other.

Thanks , I did say to her to stop what she is doing if it hurts so hopefully this isnt serious and she will be okay , thanks for the replies

My DD came home last week and said that her back was bothering her... but she attributed it to a conditioning exercise called arch-ups... (they lay on belly a vault table with someone sitting on their feet, and they raise their upper half up and level with the table - I think!) She rested it for a few days and she seems better, but I am watching her closely!!

I started researching things immediately of course, and found that improper technique (too much reliance on lower back, instead of abs and those muscles etc.) can be a likely culprit in some cases.

As a mom, I would just trust your gut!! The back is not something to mess around with, IMO. Hope she gets to feeling better soon!!

Impossible to say, but doing basic back strength does help. First thing I would cut out is the BWO on beam if she is doing them yet. Have her train BHS.

My DD came home last week and said that her back was bothering her... but she attributed it to a conditioning exercise called arch-ups... (they lay on belly a vault table with someone sitting on their feet, and they raise their upper half up and level with the table - I think!) She rested it for a few days and she seems better, but I am watching her closely!!

I started researching things immediately of course, and found that improper technique (too much reliance on lower back, instead of abs and those muscles etc.) can be a likely culprit in some cases.

As a mom, I would just trust your gut!! The back is not something to mess around with, IMO. Hope she gets to feeling better soon!!

Thanks really appreciate the advice , I have been worrying about this all night , she has no gym today and sent a note into school to say she wont be taking PE this week . Will see what hc thinks tomorrow , we have a sports physio at the gym so I am sure they will advise as well , no bwo until we know what to do with her . She has no pain in general , just when she does certain conditioning or bwo so at least I know she isnt in constant pain , really want to get a referral and a scan if this continues so we know what we are dealing with. Doesnt help when you have such a worrying nature and fear the worst :eek: . I am mainly scared she has to quit and she is only turning 8 and she is loving the fact she is at gym so much .

The thing I feel worrying the most is how to deal with her if she has to stop , I am probably stressing out creating a problem before anything has been said , but thats my nature a flappy bird :D

Thanks really appreciate the advice , I have been worrying about this all night , she has no gym today and sent a note into school to say she wont be taking PE this week . Will see what hc thinks tomorrow , we have a sports physio at the gym so I am sure they will advise as well , no bwo until we know what to do with her . She has no pain in general , just when she does certain conditioning or bwo so at least I know she isnt in constant pain , really want to get a referral and a scan if this continues so we know what we are dealing with. Doesnt help when you have such a worrying nature and fear the worst :eek: . I am mainly scared she has to quit and she is only turning 8 and she is loving the fact she is at gym so much .

The thing I feel worrying the most is how to deal with her if she has to stop , I am probably stressing out creating a problem before anything has been said , but thats my nature a flappy bird :D

I am pretty much the same way... even if my daughter is cut out for this sport, I am not sure I am!! LOL

DD is home from school now , she has no gym tonight but she wanted to see if she could do a bridge but she couldnt she said it was far to painful . At least she knows she needs to rest it for now .

Please, take her to the ortho and do an MRI. Back pain is not something to be taken lightly.
Will definately be taking her , will not be leaving this untreated , is there a time scale you would wait to see incase it is a minor thing or do I go straight away?

So, with D, I went rather quickly. I did not wait and I am glad that I did not wait. It might have gotten worse had he kept going. BUt now he is finally almost pain free.

So, with D, I went rather quickly. I did not wait and I am glad that I did not wait. It might have gotten worse had he kept going. BUt now he is finally almost pain free.
Thanks , here in Scotland we need to take dd to the doctors and wait for a referral appointment this could take a while so really need to trust the coach and physio .

I waited a while. Didn't take it seriously at first (it was before I found CB). When I finally did take her, she had a stress fracture. Almost two years later, we are still struggling with back issues.
So, in my opinion, the sooner the better. But even if you can't take her right away, no back extensions\arching until you do, or until completely pain free.

Thanks , here in Scotland we need to take dd to the doctors and wait for a referral appointment this could take a while so really need to trust the coach and physio .

I went to the doctor first, and then got the referral for the ortho. THen had to wait for the referral for the MRI. it took about a month total. But in that time, he did nothing. I think it kept him from having a fracture...

I will get her an appointment this week and ask for the refferal best to get the ball rolling now , thanks everyone really has made me feel better being able to speak to people who can relate to this .

DD has been having back pain at gym , tonight she had a few tears and her coach said its not like her and has had a few episodes of this , she is going to speak to the head coach and get back to us maybe physio for her. Has anyone had any experience with this , dd is almost 8 and is now doing 14 hours , thanks in advance .

time to go to the Doc. sooner than later. hours are almost twice her age. a problem has most likely developed.

I went to the doctor first, and then got the referral for the ortho. THen had to wait for the referral for the MRI. it took about a month total. But in that time, he did nothing. I think it kept him from having a fracture...

MRI's in the UK and here are not something we get within weeks, it usually takes many months unless the issue is considered urgent. Back pain is rarley considered urgent.

@Scotsgirl do take her to the doctor, they can do oblique xrays to rule out fractures etc. An xray would also show slippage etc. Physio is a great thing for most back pain. Please have her stop any arching at all until you can get her looked at, tell her that "trying" things to see if they hurt is a bad idea for now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back