Parents back to Competing after an injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Smartiegirl

Proud Parent
So tomorrow is the first time my daughter competes after an injury that kept her from full training for almost 7 months. I am so proud of her determination, God knows I would have given up. She broke both bones in her forearm had a plate and a wire (which are now removed). Last night suddenly she starts crying. She is saying she is embarrassed and that people are going to be disappointed in her because expect her to be as good as she was before the injury. She did not vault for 9 months. She did not tumble for 7 months. It is so difficult to explain to a child that these skills don't magically reappear, and how far she has come since returning to the gym in October. Anyone who has words of wisdom I can give her to put her journey back in perspective would be appreciated.

I would remind her that coming back from such a big injury is a huge accomplishment and going out there and competing is amazing. Her only goal should be to go out there and have fun getting back into competition again after such a traumatic and difficult event. Tell her that I think she is pretty amazing just to do gymnastics after a big injury like that. Good luck to her at her first meet back, hope she has a nice solid meet and most of all, hope she has fun and comes out feeling proud of herself!!!

I think anything said might mean more coming from a coach. You're her mother so that makes anything you might say (especially anything having to do with gymnastics) suspect. Or at least that's how my daughter would feel. If you feel comfortable doing so, tell one of her coaches (or all of her coaches) what you just told us. A coach saying to her, "You've really come a long way since your accident. I'm so glad that you're competing again." might go a long way.

My daughter is coming back from back injury and she will compete for the first time next month. She is repeating the level she did last year. She could compete the next level but probably wouldn't be very competitive. She is disappointed she is not competing with her group. I remind her daily that she is competing and will have an amazing season-a far cry from thinking she would never do gymnastics again back in July. It's hard for these girls who want so much, it can be hard to show them what their success truly is. I just remind her that going slow means she has a fighting chance of allowing her body to stay in the sport she loves and rushing it could mean the end of her dreams of gymnastics altogether. Good luck helping your gymmie see how successful she is just coming back from an injury that would have made many others quit altogether.

thank you all for your kind words of wisdom. These girls all work so hard in an extremely difficult sport. It truly teaches life lessons....fingers crossed for a smiling gymnast.

Just saw this post again that I wrote 5 months ago as a follow up my daughter won the lev 6 beam state championship after this injury. I showered her with nothing but positive thoughts all season. I'm so thankful that she had a good day and was rewarded for all her hard work coming back. Her vault still needs work but bars were excellent considering the bad fall she had no fears remain. Here's to an injury free lev 7 training season.

I was so glad to read your update, smartirgirl! Congratulations to your daughter! I hope she is having a great season this year!

My daughter is rehabbing from an elbow dislocation right now, and your story gives lots of hope. (-:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back