Welcome to our Gymnastics Discussion Community
554,231 messages... 44,365 topics... and 6,612 members
Join for FREE!
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts & High 5 Meets!

For Parents Back Tuck on beam.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sparky

I always knew the day would come when watching dd do her beam would freak me out - and now it's here........I can deal with the backhandspring stuff and the round off dismounts, but man, that back tuck is hard to handle! I am seriously having anxiety about it - I have never been concerned about any other skills.......anybody else share my craziness????? :D

Lisa

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Sep 25, 2007
Country
USA
Well, I get nervous watching any of those upper level skills on beam no matter who is up there doing them. LOL. So, I can totally say that I know I would freak if my DD was doing that kind of stuff on beam. :D

Aussie_coach

Moderator/Coach
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Club Owner
Jan 4, 2008
Country
Australia
Don't stress too much, back tucks on beam look scary and impressive but they aren't as difficult as they look. If your daughter has a solid back tuck it will automatically go straight, its much harder to go sideways they way kids often do with skills like walkovers. Here is Australia a back tuck is an optional bonus skill on beam from level 5. So if you think its scary to watch now, imagine watching level 5's performing it.

JessMom

Proud Parent
Mar 6, 2009
I feel your pain. DD is working on a back tuck dismount and came so close to hitting her head Fri night. Coach and I both have some new grey hairs and now I can't watch at all.

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Jun 21, 2007
Country
USA
I agree with Aussie coach, it looks harder than it really is and the girls rarely really miss it - they may land then fall off. Plus, she wouldn't be up there trying to do it, if she hasn't done it a thousand times on a low beam.

Quite honestly, I am more concerned about a good switch leap that could split the beam than a BT. :eek:

C

cher062

I try not to look anymore LOL. Almost everything they are doing now when I watch (during the allowed times) I am starting my sentences with "OH MY God...." then a hand to my eyes and a quick look away then back to DD.

gymjoy

Jan 31, 2009
Just wait until your dd starts the big bar releases...:0 soon I won't be able to watch beam or bars.

S

Sparky

gymjoy,

LOL, you are right about that! Her group has been working on their toe shoots for a month or so now, doesn't freak me out going from low to high, but I think the reverse will be a bit trickier for me to watch!

Aussie Coach and Granny Smith,

Thanks, I have heard that before but forgot! and realistically when I think about how many times I have seen gymnasts doing it, I have never seen anyone actually miss the beam on landing - land and then fall, yes, but actually completely miss the beam, no :D

Status
Not open for further replies.