Parents Back Tuck on beam.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Sparky

I always knew the day would come when watching dd do her beam would freak me out - and now it's here........I can deal with the backhandspring stuff and the round off dismounts, but man, that back tuck is hard to handle! I am seriously having anxiety about it - I have never been concerned about any other skills.......anybody else share my craziness????? :D

Lisa

Well, I get nervous watching any of those upper level skills on beam no matter who is up there doing them. LOL. So, I can totally say that I know I would freak if my DD was doing that kind of stuff on beam. :D

Don't stress too much, back tucks on beam look scary and impressive but they aren't as difficult as they look. If your daughter has a solid back tuck it will automatically go straight, its much harder to go sideways they way kids often do with skills like walkovers. Here is Australia a back tuck is an optional bonus skill on beam from level 5. So if you think its scary to watch now, imagine watching level 5's performing it.

I feel your pain. DD is working on a back tuck dismount and came so close to hitting her head Fri night. Coach and I both have some new grey hairs and now I can't watch at all.

I agree with Aussie coach, it looks harder than it really is and the girls rarely really miss it - they may land then fall off. Plus, she wouldn't be up there trying to do it, if she hasn't done it a thousand times on a low beam.

Quite honestly, I am more concerned about a good switch leap that could split the beam than a BT. :eek:

I try not to look anymore LOL. Almost everything they are doing now when I watch (during the allowed times) I am starting my sentences with "OH MY God...." then a hand to my eyes and a quick look away then back to DD.

gymjoy,

LOL, you are right about that! Her group has been working on their toe shoots for a month or so now, doesn't freak me out going from low to high, but I think the reverse will be a bit trickier for me to watch!

Aussie Coach and Granny Smith,

Thanks, I have heard that before but forgot! and realistically when I think about how many times I have seen gymnasts doing it, I have never seen anyone actually miss the beam on landing - land and then fall, yes, but actually completely miss the beam, no :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back