Back Tuck on Trampoline (before handspring)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all,

My daughters class has started doing back tuck and forward tuck drills on the trampoline (with a belt). Its the highlight of the day and they just love it! However, they haven't yet learned a back handspring yet. Will learning the back tuck first on trampoline make it harder or easier for them to do a backhandspring? In my mind I can argue it both ways but I wasn't a gymmie as a child.

I can say that bars have improved significantly since doing the back and forward tucks on the trampoline. They used to be a bit apprehensive about the back hipcircle but that went away when the drills started.

Not trying to be a crazy gym parent. I just like to know how things work :)

Honestly, the back and front tucks probably won't effect BHS progressions at all. When your daughter starts drills for handsprings, it will feel like a totally different skill, and having already done a tuck won't make it harder. If anything, it would make the BHS a little easier, simply because she will be used to going backwards.

They are probably just doing the back and front tucks as a little bit of fun during practice :).

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. I just love watching my girls smile and having a blast in class. I just can't stop the engineer in me sometimes from wondering how things work :)

Back tucks and front tucks are fine. It might seem like the coach is having them to this to make the class more fun, and that might be true. But the main reason coaches let kids work skills that are so far beyond those kids' current level is to take advantage of the small window when they are young and fearless to introduce the tougher skills. Once gymnast get older they become too afraid to try many of the harder skills they now need for their higher level routine. IMO as a former gymnast and now coach, the sooner kids are introduced to hard skills, the better. As long as the coach is keeping it safe, which is accomplished in this case by using the harness. And don't worry, they will learn their backhandsprings and all too.

It's fine. They're very different skills with very different take-offs. The girls will know and understand the difference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back