Back tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
My DD is working on her ROBHSBT. From what I see she does not understand the concept of 'set'

It looks like she is trying to tuck from what would be a BHS jump back instead of setting up. Her coaches have been tryng to work with her but it just seems like the concept is not sinking in.

Have any of you encountered this? Any suggestions for helping her grasp the set concept?

Thanks in advance. Oh, FYI she is L4 so she doesn't 'need' it but all her L4 teammates have mastered it so she is pretty upset that she had not.

when first learning a ROBHSBT the 'set' can be diffcult:eek: one thing that sometimes helps is when she does a ROBHS 'set' and then on the set the coach catches her and lifts her up, then flips her.(or just this from a stand and into the pit) this gives of the feeling of a 'set'. also maybe ROBHS set and bring her knees up to her chest? this could also help, or arms up stretch jump and bring knees up and arms down.
hope this helps!!!GOOD LUCK!!!!:D

For some reason "reach for the stars" always helped my teammates. Tell her to think after her BHS to jump and grab or reach for the stars. It sounds weird but it helped my teammates!

Sounds like her coach needs to back up and have her do round off, back handspring, straight jumps. Lots of them. The coach should spot the set (straight jump), and after your daughter gets really good at the set, the coach should start spotting the tuck. If she whips it, go back to the straight jumps. It also helps to pick a spot to look at on the wall before you flip. Makes the gymnast stay straight and lift for a split second longer before flipping. Good luck!

Definately what gymalex said - lots and lots of ROBHS jump. She could also try donkey kick to set, and then donkey kick BT, supported by her coach. The coach could also try having a discussion about 'pushing back' for BHS and 'pushing up' for BT. Standing BT off a springboard or block can also help IF they are done supported with the set.
Hope that helps.

I thought of something else - if she is throwing her head back in the BT, then practise trying to keep a piece of foam held under her chin can work wonders.

Sounds like her coach needs to back up and have her do round off, back handspring, straight jumps. Lots of them. The coach should spot the set (straight jump), and after your daughter gets really good at the set, the coach should start spotting the tuck. If she whips it, go back to the straight jumps. It also helps to pick a spot to look at on the wall before you flip. Makes the gymnast stay straight and lift for a split second longer before flipping. Good luck!

That sounds exactly like what the coaches do at DDs gym. When they get a really good ROBHS, they can start working on ROBHS straight jump high (with spot). After they get that really good, she spots them on the BT. :)

Good luck to her getting her BT the right way!

Thanks everyone. Her coach does have her doing the ROBHS straight jump. I know that it will come with time. Honestly, I would not care except that she is so upset about being "the only one that doesn't have it".

Definitly a good rebound from her RO BHS is important. I know some drills are straight jumps and roll onto your back, lift your knees up on the vault table is good. Also RO BHS straight up fall back hallow onto a pitmat (sometimes with a wedge ontop). It takes practice but I am sure she will get it. Tell her good luck!

A drill we do:

Stack two 8'' inchers up, have her set on to that. When that's good, back tuck on to that. No choice but to set. When that is consistent and good, keep on adding 8'' inchers. We have had a girl been able to do back tuck on that at her shoulder height, and she is a tall girl!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back