WAG Back Walkover Backhandspring on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast_2006

I'm in level 7 and can't quite seem to connect my back walkover back handspring, I was wondering if anyone can help me overcome my fear of this skill?

Drill it on a floor line ten times in a row, then move to a low beam and do it another ten times, and get your coach to spot if that helps. Then when you feel comfortable move to a higher beam with mats, then take them off etc. If you find yourself scared at one stage just go back to the lower beam or floor and keep drilling it. Eventually your body will be so used to doing it it will feel normal! Hope this helps

I find that doing handstand step down backhand helped me as well as doing back walkover stop backhand spring hopefully this helps

Drill it on a floor line ten times in a row, then move to a low beam and do it another ten times, and get your coach to spot if that helps. Then when you feel comfortable move to a higher beam with mats, then take them off etc. If you find yourself scared at one stage just go back to the lower beam or floor and keep drilling it. Eventually your body will be so used to doing it it will feel normal! Hope this helps
My daughter competed level 7 with this connection last year. But, the break and starting a new gym, she is now balking. She recently got her bhs on beam back, but now it’s the bwo, bhs that she won’t do. She cries because she is so frustrated. Does she have to have this connection or can the coach switch to bhs, bhs. It’s quicker. Her bwo is so slow, you can see where she hesitates to go for the bhs. Do I just keep my mouth shut? It’s so hard to watch my 10 year old cry and think it’s gone forever!! Thank you for any advice.

My daughter competed level 7 with this connection last year. But, the break and starting a new gym, she is now balking. She recently got her bhs on beam back, but now it’s the bwo, bhs that she won’t do. She cries because she is so frustrated. Does she have to have this connection or can the coach switch to bhs, bhs. It’s quicker. Her bwo is so slow, you can see where she hesitates to go for the bhs. Do I just keep my mouth shut? It’s so hard to watch my 10 year old cry and think it’s gone forever!! Thank you for any advice.
I'd ask the coach about it, whether there is a reason she must do the bwo bhs. The bwo bhs can be harder if its slow as there is more time to pull out of the connection especially with a mental block. A reason might be that the coach thinks the bhs bhs will be deducted more or is less consistent, but i'd ask anyway so you and your daughter are on the same page.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back