WAG back walkover on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD had fears of going backwards on beam. She struggled for months with the BHS. I didn’t ask her about it much, but just encouraged her when it did come up. I think it helps to know too that your DD isn’t the only one that has ever experienced a mental block. Knowing that other gymnasts dealt with it too helped her to not feel so alone in the struggle.

Another thing that really helped was a four part series by Doc Ali on getting over mental blocks. It’s on YouTube I believe. It gave my daughter some practical advice and helped her build progressions. I think it helped her feel like she was making progress even if she hadn’t yet done the actual skill on her own. If gave her tools to help reset and a place to start over instead of just standing on a beam waiting to get over the fear.
Hey. Thank you. Do you mind telling me how old your daughter is? I have watched the Dr. Ali series on YouTube and thought about watching it with her. Or talking about it with her, but, I’m scared to bring it up and cause more stress. My daughter is 10.

Hey. Thank you. Do you mind telling me how old your daughter is? I have watched the Dr. Ali series on YouTube and thought about watching it with her. Or talking about it with her, but, I’m scared to bring it up and cause more stress. My daughter is 10.

She was the same age as your daughter. I watched them first and then let her watch them and she then did her own progression ladder and talked to her coach about it and her coach was on board with it. I think they reach a point where they become so frustrated that they are willing to try anything. That’s where mine was.

I will say it wasn’t an immediate fix. It still took a few months and I would only ask how practice was in general, never specifically about that. But the progressions built on one another and gave her small victories So she wasn’t nearly as frustrated.

Sometimes doing tik toks helps. Also one girl had a unique warm up, she would purposefully do her back walkover and land on the floor. Then she felt comfortable and in control and she could do it.

Instead of using a cushion/protection sometimes it's better to de-mat. So you start out with the mats level with the beam and then start taking them off, you trick your mind that way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back