WAG Back walkovers and handsprings?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What kinds of things help you get these skills? I can't join my clubs squad until I have either of these skills so I'd like to get them pretty quickly!

Also, to do a yurchenko vault what skills do you need to have?

You don't want to practice either without supervision, but you need to be able to go into a bridge with fully straight arms and not hit your head when you land. You need to have sufficient ab strength to be able to pull your legs over properly as well. So lots of pushups, chinups, v-ups are always good for abs and leg lifts, the leg lifts will help strengthen both your legs and your abs

Also, if you can't do a backwalkover or bhs, you won't be able to do a yurchenko. Needless to say, you need to have a very strong round off and bhs. Most gymnasts don't start working that vault for years, and it wouldn't even be thought of until you have mastered a regular fhs vault

What kinds of things help you get these skills? I can't join my clubs squad until I have either of these skills so I'd like to get them pretty quickly!

Also, to do a yurchenko vault what skills do you need to have?

First, you need to slow way down. You need many years of strong walkovers and handsprings (and many other skills!) before even thinking about a yurchenko!

Most skills are learned in a progressive fashion. Before you learn a back walkover you need to be able to do a backbend from stand, bridge kickover, and have a decent handstand. You should ask your coach what, if any, of these things you could practice at home. Strengthening your arms would be helpful too. Do not ever (EVER!) attempt a backhandspring at home!

Don't rush. I know you love gymnastics and are eager to be on team, but it's better to learn the skills properly and safely!

What kinds of things help you get these skills?

You need more time with a coach for the bhs on beam, and way more time with a very capable coach for the Yurchenco. Don't even work lead up drills at open gym, or any other place, for the Yurchencho until you are started on them by your coaches.

I'll give you one fairly general tip for your beam bhs that's often overlooked. Beam is all about balance, your body knowing how to balance, and your body being ready in an instant to balance. Those things can only happen when you have a tight core. As you are standing you need to tighten up your stomach muscles and keep them tight as you sit/squat before the takeoff/jump. Put emphasis back on the stomach muscles as soon as you see the beam, or floor line, and keep them tight during the push from your hands all the way to the landing.

And balance isn't just standing straight without falling because if you're not tight you're really just standing there waiting to fall off. :mad: :confused:

Start balanced and it's easier to do the skill......

You need more time with a coach for the bhs on beam, and way more time with a very capable coach for the Yurchenco. Don't even work lead up drills at open gym, or any other place, for the Yurchencho until you are started on them by your coaches.

I'll give you one fairly general tip for your beam bhs that's often overlooked. Beam is all about balance, your body knowing how to balance, and your body being ready in an instant to balance. Those things can only happen when you have a tight core. As you are standing you need to tighten up your stomach muscles and keep them tight as you sit/squat before the takeoff/jump. Put emphasis back on the stomach muscles as soon as you see the beam, or floor line, and keep them tight during the push from your hands all the way to the landing.

And balance isn't just standing straight without falling because if you're not tight you're really just standing there waiting to fall off. :mad: :confused:

Start balanced and it's easier to do the skill......

I thought she was trying to get them on the floor......

Whoops! I wasn't sure which event she was talking about so I figured she was talking about balance beam. Maybe the mention of a Yurchenko swayed me in the wrong direction.

So jesstsherratt....... If you were talking about floor you'll just have to remember the balance thing until you're ready for beam. Until then..... work on your balance.

I don't understand this. If you can't join the squad without the skills, surely the club must have a class to teach these skills?

I agree with the others. My limited, tiny bit of knowledge about gymnastics would say a Yurchenco comes WAY after learning stuff like a BHS and back walk over. That is definitely something you should just wait until a coach starts working on it with you. My older DD has a BHS and a BWO and is still just working on her FHS on the vault. For competitions she is only doing a handstand flatback (level 3).

As for things to get the BHS or BWO, I'm not a gymnast, so I can't be sure. But both of my DDs have their BWO and it seemed that before getting it they first would lay down and go to bridge, then do lots of tick tocks from there. Then they started going to a bridge from standing and doing tick tocks. Then eventually they started from standing with one foot out and went over. I think the tick tocks seemed to really help them.

For BHS, it seems to me that it is something that you should really work on with a coach, especially since it seems like form can so easily get messed up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back