WAG Backhandspring stepout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

vault-champ

So on beam I'm working on a backhandspring stepout but i can never do them. Why? Well I don't have elbow problems but they seem to collapse in or out when ever i do standing backhandsprings. This dosn't happen when i do round-off backhandsprings though. In a standing backhandspring do you make your elbows straight and stiff or do you bend them? Please help me with this its holding me back on beam :( thanks

You might not be getting a big enough jump or are pushing off too late. Try to work them from the floor up onto a folded panel mat.

Without a video I can only speculate. My guess would be you need to split sooner. Many girls try to catch all of their weight on their hands then step down. If your shoulders are a little stiff, you may have to bend your arms slightly to get your hands on the beam. Coming down on on bent arms is hard.
Do handspring step outs up onto an 8" mat from the floor to make sure you're jumping high enough as well.

When girls bend their arms on back handsprings on beam, I notice that they usually drop their shoulders into it as they jump back. You need to lift your shoulders a little bit higher to get the height and block. The suggestion that you practice them up onto a panel mat is a good one. It teaches you to get your chest up as you jump back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back